• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"liquid" bore butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboleo1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does TC make a liquid version of bore butter that can be sprayed, similar to what Lehigh Valley lube is like? Thought I saw it advertised somewhere a ways back but can't find it anywhere online.

No liquid version is produced for retail sale.

In Nevada it gets so hot that sometimes my tube of Bore Butter will turn from paste into liquid. Somehow I think that a spray Bore Butter just wouldn't go on the gun quite right. Bore Butter is designed to be solid at "room temperature" which I think is determined to be around 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Your only options are to stick with solid Bore Butter or to move to a different product. There are also plenty of "recipes" for home-made lubricants on this website.

You can always thicken( harden) Bore butter by adding beeswax to it. Just heat some up in a tin set in a flat pan with a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the pan, to make a " double boiler". When the bore butter is melted( Liquid) add wax. Let it melt so it mixes thoroughly, then remove it from the heat to cool- either in the small tin, or in the container you want to use to store it and use it on the range, or in the field. You can speed the cooling by putting the tin of mixed lube in your freezer for 1/2 hour. How thick or hard it will get will depend on how much wax you add to the bore butter. I have seen recipes for Wax/Olive Oil that use a ratio of 4:1, which makes a pretty hard wax lube, except in the heat.Compared to the Bore Butter that comes in a tube- about the consistency of facial(cold) creams-- and you can see the difference readily.

To test it, put the closed tin out in sunlight, and check it in 4 hours.

Most of us keep these things in our "possibles" bag, so they are not subject to direct sunlight. That keeps them cooler and a bit more solid. But, if you are out in 90 to 100 degree+ heat everything is going to melt- even you. Find some cool place to be, in shade, because I can assure you that all the animals you are likely to be hunting will be doing the same thing.

Even Antelope, who live out in the heat all the time, will seek cooleys and ravines where the ground may be cooler on their feet. You will rarely find Antelope moving around during the heat of the day.

I put my bore butter in the microwave to turn it to a liquid, then soak strips of ticking in it. Since I usually get too much lube on a strip, I roll each lubed strip in a dry one and put them away. When needed, the "dry" strip has picked up enough lube from the "wet" one to make them both usable..Hank

Paulvallingham had a good way to THICKEN your Bore Butter but you seem to want a thinner version of it. So, just follow Paul's instructions but use olive oil instead of the wax. Add a little bit at a time and remove a portion to see if, when it cools, it is the thickness you want. You can also use Ballistol to thin your Bore Butter if you have it. Just do it as Paul says, heat it, stir in the diluant of choice and sample it until you get the consistancy that you want. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all. I have ballistol and olive oil. Will see which works out best. Thanks

Here in this part of AZ, lube separation is a problem. I can take a tube of NRA formula boolit lube, (bees wax and Alox) leave it on the bench in shop with cooler off, and in a couple of days the Alox has separated out. Sure makes for problems if left in the lubricator/sizer.

I have considered remelting and adding a little Ivory or Murphys soap and stirring well when hot to see if that helps obtain a more homogenized mix to prevent separation.

Back