• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left handed people using right handed flintlocks.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
If ever there was a bad idea waiting to happen, left handed people using right handed flintlocks was it...A friend of mine once set his beard on fire shooting my (right handed) Brown Bess. I had no idea he was left handed until it was too late. He had one of those long, ZZ TOP style beards too...This quickly prompted me to buy a flash guard for curbing those pan flashes and side blast that those heavy muskets are so noted for.He was nice enough not to throw my gun as we quickly put his face out with a hail storm of snow-balls...He did not recieve one burn because of our quick thinking, snow-ball efforts, but he was mad as a hornet and twice as ugly.He stood there, (still smoldering) and said, let me shoot that @#$%^#@*&!! again...
I declined and went quickly on my way...

am left handed and have been shoot bp with righthanded guns since about 1970....no problems Have been using a righthanded flint gun exclusively the past 4 years or so. Have finally come to the conclusion that I occasionally flinch, and that causes a lousy shot. I'm going to buy the Isaic Hayes flintlock kit from Jim Chambers, as it is the only one he has that is available lefthanded. it'll cost a good buck, but it is quality stuff. It is also the only excuse I can find to let myself buy another gun..Hank

Historicaly it was mostly something folks just lived with, though there were left hand guns made the cast off and cheekpiece were probably as much a reason as the side the lock was on...if you had a double barreled flinter then either way one of the locks will be on the "wrong" side

Latest posts

Back