• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone use leather for patches ? I just thought that leather would have been used 1-2 centuries ago, maybe rarely, but used. Also has anyone tried cutting up a chamois and using that as a patch ? Seems like they could be used over and over if found.

All I use any more. Takes a bit more work since it helps to work the lube into them ahead of time, good busy-hands work for TV watching. Pre-lubed and put in a tin for easy access. When the rotary type patch cutter gets too dull for cloth, it'll still do leather. Different type rifling and ball vs. bore size will dictate the leather thickness required. Even though it's thicker than cloth, leather compresses better for it's thickness compared to cloth. It won't smolder on the ground in dry conditions either. Many can even be reused...just lick'em off and away you go! :rotf:

One of the guys at our club recently scratch built a flintlock rifle. Only thing he didn't make himself was the barrel which was custom built by Rice to his specs. .47 caliber, very deep grooves.

He's been working up loads with leather patches he die cuts. Not sure what the leather is from. Last I saw him he was adjusting his sights at the 50 yd mark. Groups were running around 1 1/2" from the bench.

Should have gotten pictures but I spaced it.

The guy used to build custom suppository guns in Germany and decided to try building a flintlock now that he's retired. Spec'd out an original and copied it. Researching it he found leather patches were used so he copied that, too.

So yeah, leather works.

Sounds expensive? But it would seem? leather would work well and be more accurate? Maybe worth a look. Would use it for a gun I shoot rarely though due to cost. If you find the patches it would also seem they could be used multiple times.

I have always wanted to try them A lot od patches could be cut from a chammy. The trick will be to find a real one. I think melting the lube and pouring it while keeping it warm should work. OK now I am going to find one and try it.

Geo. T.

Keep an eye out at the local auto supply joints in your area. Most will run special on chamois now and again. You can use other type of leather as well. Watch for stuff made of any thin leather at resale or Goodwill places. I cut out a bunch and sit with the patches and rub the lube into them while watching TV. It's good busy work for the hands and allows me to work the leather a bit by hand to equal the thickness out a bit. It's pretty forgiving material. I use an old round tin and lay them in circular row each slightly overlapping the one before it. Couple nights fiddling around will net you a gob of patches.

You will probably need to use a slightly smaller ball than with your thinner fabric patching. I have used greased leather patches and was able to reuse the patches.

Many Klatch

Haven’t tried it in a rifle yet but it’s on my list. I do use leather for over powder wads in shotgun, it’s all I use anymore. I’m not a fan of pouring or dunking patches with melted lube for me it makes loading messy, more difficult, and increases fouling ”¦.less is better.

Back