• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaf spring knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogar

32 Cal.
Reaction score
antlerknife.jpg
[/img]
Been a while since last post, been too busy, but manage to still make a few knives from time to time. Leaf spring mounted on Mule Deer antler. 18" overall

Now that IS a working man's knife and nicely made!

Maybe just a little narrow at the tang for my taste, but what the heck do I know!

Rick :thumbsup:

Thanks, 5160 is what I've been told. The bolster is Padauk and leather spacers.
The tang is a little narrow, but Ileft it the full 1/4" thick, so I'm pretty confident it will hold up to use.

It may or may not be 5160, unless the spring came from a very old auto. There are a number of steels used for auto springs since the 40's or 50's, and they are all a little different, and react differently in heat treat. Most suitable steels for knives are relatively cheap, and it is always best to use a known steel with a heat treat that is known to be best for it. There are those who enjoy playing with mystery steels, but one can often save a lot of work and headaches by knowing what steel he is using, and how to treat it.

I agree with using known steels and I buy 1095 for most projects. The spring was free and so was the antler. Sometimes it's just fun to use salvaged material.

A number of years ago, out of the blue, I received a knife from a good friend of mine. The blade was made out of a coil spring from a '69 GTO according to the note he sent with it. Total length is about 7 1/2 inches. Perfect deer hunting knife. It sharpens up pretty easily and holds the edge very well.

I'm not smart in the ways of metals, so I have no idea what kind of steel this is, but it worked great.

We used to work together, but since he was laid off we only see one another now maybe once a year. This knife means the world to me as I can only imagine the work and care that went into this incredible gift, which included a sheath with brain-tanned deer hide he also made.

KentsKnife_zpsf81fa37d.jpg

Back