• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lamps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spoon lamps .....or grease lamps...
I have a thing for lamps.....yes, I'm weird....

Tonight I dug out my spoon lamps for the season....they are very similar to this....
67_128_33_bw_zps8uaexmwh.jpg

Except they are just made from s silver spoon...
fat, oil, lard ...even some waxes will work.. Almost any type of wick will work.... as long as it's not synthetic.
I have even made my own from natural fibers....

Has anyone else tried a grease lamp or spoon lamp?

I've made a couple of silver spoon grease lamps. one I made and gave as a thank you to Bob Bartlme of backwoods tin for making me a betty lamp. the other hangs in the garage. was a fun project but not a practical lighting source for camp. I used cotton clothesline and twisted cotton fabric as the wick with varying degrees of success.

Candle wick works well as does small diameter sisal twine...

I've had good luck with mine.....they just don't like any wind...

I think they are a perfect addition to a trekkers kit, light weight and no glass to break....easier to make then candles..
If you place a small lard candle in the middle of it...the candle drippings become your lamp fuel when it dies......a double whammy.

Has anyone else tried a grease lamp or spoon lamp?

I've tried them at one site, but rarely are they permitted for use at events, as grease, or lamp oil, is a flammable liquid and many places think them taboo.

As for trekking I would not want the oil/grease all over everything in hot weather...and I use a folding pocket lanthorn with a candle in that case. Much better in a little breeze.

LD

You guys both make good arguments....But I wasn't really trying to debate the pro's and con's. :haha:

Like I said......I got a thing for lanterns. :v

Back