• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jojoba oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonKenton

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This is often sold as "synthetic sperm oil" and it's actually from a nut. Pronounced "ho ho bah" it is organic and contains no water but can mix with water. Has anyone tested this? Just curious. :confused:

-Ray

Yes. I bought a bottle of JoJoba oil at Friendship many years ago and still have a part of the bottle left, only because I have since bought small samples of other oils also to try. There is Nothing wrong with Jojoba oil. It is a fine lubricant, mixes with water, if you must. About the only negative I can find is the cost, but if You can even find someone willing to part with an old hoard of Sperm Whale Oil, the price will be many times the cost of Jojoba oil.

I would recommend it to the folks who are using paper patched bullets, as a substitute for the whale oil favored in the past. But it also works as a patch lube, and for oiling the inner parts of a gun lock. It does not seem to evaporate or congeal as some other oils will.

Paul,

One concern is fouling. I am loathe to use petro based lubes of any kind. My favorite organic is actually the paste form of Mink Oil from TOW. It has not frozen up on me and if I HAVE to shoot in sub-0 I can mix in a tad of EVOO I suppose.

Does jojoba produce more or less hard fouling than other lubes. :confused:

-Ray

I don't think it fouls at all, based on my usage. But, I clean between each shot, and don't even attempt to fire 2 or more shots without cleaning. This is not a petroleum based oil. Its comes from a bean grown on a desert plant, and is more a vegetable oil than petroleum. I used it for years to oil the working parts in my locks, and never had it congeal, or gel, or cloud. I did wipe out the locks after each shoot, as a standard cleaning practice, and then re-oiled my lock with Jojoba oil. I also used it for a time in my .45 auto, on the slide, and it works as well in that pistol as it does in my MLer. Because of the expense of the oil, I stopped using it in my pistol, and saved it to use in my locks.

JoJoba is a fine oil. Oh, I have never really tested it in subfreezing weather. Timing mostly. I suppose the easiest way to test it would be to put the oil on a lock, put the lock in a plastic bag, and put in the freezer over night. If the oil still performs, after being at 10 below zero for 8 hours or more, I think its safe to assume its a pretty good oil. There are oils ( synthetic) designed for use in truly subfreezing temperatures, and work at -60 degrees and even colder. They were developed for use in Aircraft Engines, and if I were planning a hunt in winter in Alaska, or the NW Territories, I would not hesitate to find some of the stuff, and use it. I don't believe such an oil or lube is necessary in most of the lower 48 states. To test Jojoba oil at these extreme Temperatures, I would need to find someone in the Chemistry or Physics departments here at the University that is using Liquid Nitrogen to freeze items, and put a test sample in their freezers. There are now private industries that are doing their own cryogenic treatment of metals, so look around if you are wanting to test this oil for extreme temperature usage.

Its a fine patch lube and dosent cause fouling. Like all lubes - some guns like it and some wont. It got my Baker working .

How does it work with temps about freezing (give or take a couple of degrees)? Is it too thin for hot weather?

Being water soluble do you think that promotes easier wiping and cleaning? :confused:

-Ray

I have my gun out in the hot sun on very hot days, and the oil works fine. When I clean the gun at the end of a shooting day, the oil in the lock looks as fresh as when I put it in the lock.

paulvallandigham said:
To test Jojoba oil at these extreme Temperatures, I would need to find someone in the Chemistry or Physics departments here at the University that is using Liquid Nitrogen to freeze items, and put a test sample in their freezers. There are now private industries that are doing their own cryogenic treatment of metals, so look around if you are wanting to test this oil for extreme temperature usage.

Just a word of caution, that's a very bad idea. The liquid nitrogen would literally make your lock as brittle as glass. In college I watched a professor shatter a piece of half inch stainless steel round stock against the floor like it was a rod of glass.

I'm not sure what LN would do to a spring, but I doubt that it would function.

Without proper thermostatic controls, Yes, any metal will become as brittle as glass. But barrels are being cryogenically treated, taking them down to -270 degrees and then back up again in businesses all over the country,now, with no ill-effect. That is because they are NOT taken out and dropped on the floor when they are still that cold. The fact that you can ruin metal by abusing them is no reason to not test metals, or lubes using liquid nitrogen to get them cold enough to replicate arctic winter conditions.

The coldest I have been out in the weather was -24 degrees, and I walked to school in that temperature. There was also a wind, and all I now remember is how high the pitch of the snow was as it squeaked under our rubber boots. As the sun rose, the pitch began to lower, and we knew the air temperature was rising. Sure enough, when we reached school, it was already up to a balmy -20 degrees. More than a third of the school did not come in that day, and we were sent home early, in -15 degree temperatures.

I know it gets much colder in more northern states in the lower 48, and obscenely colder in Alaska. I experienced these low temperatures in the late 50s, in Cook County, Illinois, where I grew up.

Cryogenic treatment is different from dunking the metal in liquid nitrogen. It's a controlled process where the metal is slowly taken down to temperature and kept there a while, then slowly warmed back up. When done properly, it stress relieves the metal and has many useful benefits. Done wrong and it wrecks the metal structure. I had it done to a Remington XP-100 pistol in .308 that would string shots when it got hot. It was a last ditch effort after everything else we tried failed. It shoots great now.

Have used this oil in normal temps ie + 40 to + 80 F and have not had a problem. also have not needed to clean between shots at all. Try it.

paulvallandigham said:
Without proper thermostatic controls, Yes, any metal will become as brittle as glass. But barrels are being cryogenically treated, taking them down to -270 degrees and then back up again in businesses all over the country,now, with no ill-effect. That is because they are NOT taken out and dropped on the floor when they are still that cold. The fact that you can ruin metal by abusing them is no reason to not test metals, or lubes using liquid nitrogen to get them cold enough to replicate arctic winter conditions.
If taken to that extreme temp and then brought back up, you are right, it should be fine. I read your post as saying you were going to try your lock at that temperature. Sounded like a recipe for a broken lock to me.

Back