• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finally found it, in a round about sort of way.

But yes, it probably was meant to imitate Italian/Spanish style. As is the gilded barrel band. :wink:

Thanks for replying. I think that brass mount may not even serve as one it's just a faux mount. Hard to tell from the photo. This is what I thought after looking at some Spanish fowlers. I was not that far off base afterall. Some time ago I was searching for photos of octagonal to round barreled Jaegers. They are not common at all. The Junk rifle (the Gunmaker's name) on the littlegun.be info site under Czech firearms caught my eye also. I like longer barrels and had the bright idea to use a slightly longer 35- 37" octagonal to round barrel thinking it would balance better. Someone had stated before that Jaeger rifles were meant for the shorter barrels and shouldn't be tampered with. The thing is that the photos I did find had barrels no longer than average. I had raised the question of longer octagonal barrels some years before on another forum. I was told that it was totally out of place. Sorry, I did not post the AmericanLongrifles. link thinking I would be breaking a rule. I try not to do that. I find all of your posts educational. Little by little I'm learning. The shortcut is much better than digging for info which may or may not have merit.

:hatsoff:

Swampy, I looked at this again...and again, and again......It truly is a beautiful rifle. The hand-made side plate is downright gorgeous, Roy should feel proud of that. Well, he should feel proud of ALL of it, but you know what I mean.

The star seems to suit the rifle nicely, although I can't imagine it's HC for a German gun? What do I know. Now the floodgates are open and Stophel is probably going to drown me in my own ignorance!

:grin: Thanks!! The compass is correct.. a total pain in the butt, but correct :haha:

This past December, I purchased a Jaeger built by Nathan Stephenson. Although not historically accurate at 40 caliber, it has a 31 inch swamped barrel, and a lot of carving and detail. It shoots well off-hand using a .395 rb, 60grs FFg powder and .018 pillow-ticking with Crisco grease for lube. I will spend more time benching it for a 'true load' to get sub 1 inch groups at 25yds.

I purchased it as an alternative to my 40inch barrel 40cal flinter for hunting in dense woods. I am seriously contemplating a .58 Jaeger because this one is so nice.

40calflinter said:
This past December, I purchased a Jaeger built by Nathan Stephenson. Although not historically accurate at 40 caliber, it has a 31 inch swamped barrel, and a lot of carving and detail. It shoots well off-hand using a .395 rb, 60grs FFg powder and .018 pillow-ticking with Crisco grease for lube. I will spend more time benching it for a 'true load' to get sub 1 inch groups at 25yds.

I purchased it as an alternative to my 40inch barrel 40cal flinter for hunting in dense woods. I am seriously contemplating a .58 Jaeger because this one is so nice.

Would love to see photos...

Don't for a moment think that .40 caliber is not "historically accurate". Granted, they're not all that common, but they do exist. Sometimes they are considered lady's rifles or boy's rifles. Also there are Vogelpirschbuechsen. Bird stalking rifles. Smaller caliber rifles for shooting birds and presumably other small game. :wink:

My favorite one. This one is a whopping 7mm caliber. :wink:

54957.jpg

Hi Swampy,

I tried the link posted for screencast, but it did not work. :surrender:

Any other ideas? I'd like to share the photo's of my Jaeger with "The Forum."

You need to upload and save images to one of the free sites such as photobucket on the web unless you have your website where you can store images. Once you have an account and images stored somewhere you can then come here and post the images address info here which will enable everyone to see your pic's.

I visited two museums over the weekend and have several pics of Jaegers I'll post later. I believe, at least one, commom myth about old rifles were shown to be nothing more than bull butter according to what I observed.

I visited two museums over the weekend and have several pics of Jaegers I'll post later. I believe, at least one, commom myth about old rifles were shown to be nothing more than bull butter according to what I observed.

Back