• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another CVA Mountain Rifle ... almost for free!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another $25 pickup from a modern 'toy shop' who knows nothing about traditional muzzleloaders, especially one where it was still loaded!

The 50-cal Pyrodex load and projectile had to be drilled out using that 3/8" wood boring bit ... after removing the breech plug ... it was a solid mass and would not budge.

The barrel cleaned up pretty well except for one small spot about an inch or so long, only about 3/8" wide.

A0748018-57E7-4F7F-B2D1-7EB08C2A32AD.jpeg

FF9841E6-2351-44BB-9D16-24347EF5A8D8.jpeg

89DDFAC2-3CAC-4AC7-B124-B218EABB20E1.jpeg

... none of the powdah/pellets removed shown ...

Wow $25 ! That’s great, how’s the condition of the rest of the rifle? Was the breach plug difficult to remov?

That’s great, how’s the condition of the rest of the rifle?
Excellent, not a mark on the stock! There’s some pitting immediately ahead of the patent breech, but I’ll pour a lap and polish it smooth.

Was the breach plug difficult to remove?
Came out easy, held in a solid vise and a 2’ Crescent wrench on the plug.

$25!?!?! That’s the buy of the century ! Same gun around here in the same condition would be $400 or more.

Do you think you will be able to get the breech plug clocked to the right position to get the drum reinstalled? I know getting the drum threads in the barrel wall and the plug perfectly lined back up can be difficult.

Do you think you will be able to get the breech plug clocked to the right position to get the drum reinstalled? I know getting the drum threads in the barrel wall and the plug perfectly lined back up can be difficult.
It isn't easy. I hope he made a witness mark on the breech and barrel before he removed it. Even with a mark it take some finessing to line it up properly.

It isn't easy. I hope he made a witness mark on the breech and barrel before he removed it. Even with a mark it take some finessing to line it up properly.
With a witness mark it just takes a little effort to get the holes lined up. It's a mass produced item and doubt the thread tolerances are 3A/3B. I could be wrong though.
Another alternative is simply replace or make a new breech plug then drill and tap after installing.

With a witness mark it just takes a little effort to get the holes lined up. It's a mass produced item and doubt the thread tolerances are 3A/3B. I could be wrong though.
Another alternative is simply replace or make a new breech plug then drill and tap after installing.
If he were able to acquire a new breech plug he would have to be extremely careful as there is a good chance he will damage the threads when he drills the hole. I also wonder if the new breech plug has a hole already? As I said it isn't easy which ever way he goes.

If he were able to acquire a new breech plug he would have to be extremely careful as there is a good chance he will damage the threads when he drills the hole. I also wonder if the new breech plug has a hole already? As I said it isn't easy which ever way he goes.
I certainly cannot speak for the op but believe the hole is drilled after the breech plug is installed and torqued.

Using the correct tap drill, it's simple to get everything aligned through the existing hole in the barrel and drilled in a mill.mqking a new breech plug isn't a big deal either it just depends on how much time and effort you want to put in it.

Back