• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian Wheellock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend’s family manufactured arms and armor for re-enactors and the movie industry for many years. A while back he designed and made an affordable wheellock for the American market. I told him I was always interested in wheellocks and asked if he happened to squirrel one away. He said he kept one and I am going to get it from him. Knowing the quality (or lack of) of Indian black powder guns, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one. I have been searching youtube for info and there isn’t much. Any info other than steer clear is welcome. I am a glutton for punishment and I may try to duplicate the lock in my shop. Pics later.

I am a glutton for punishment and I may try to duplicate the lock in my shop.
Go for it!

In regards to whellocks made in or sold through India, as you may read here, we're not quite sure who may have really made them. This post compares a Spanish-made W-L to one bought on a pistol from India that has what appears to be an identically manufactured lock.

If you'd like - if any questions on the lock your friend's family made - I'd check it out for you, for free. I've checked or tuned 3 for members on these Forums now, and you can PM Rickkstl and I'm sure he'd vouch for my character and integrity. Also check your PM, I sent you an article you might find interesting.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...rison-spanish-mendi-vs-indian-x-model.176053/

Go for it!

In regards to whellocks made in or sold through India, as you may read here, we're not quite sure who may have really made them. This post compares a Spanish-made W-L to one bought on a pistol from India that has what appears to be an identically manufactured lock.

If you'd like - if any questions on the lock your friend's family made - I'd check it out for you, for free. I've checked or tuned 3 for members on these Forums now, and you can PM Rickkstl and I'm sure he'd vouch for my character and integrity. Also check your PM, I sent you an article you might find interesting.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...rison-spanish-mendi-vs-indian-x-model.176053/
Thank you for the generous offer. I have read the post on Spanish vs. Indian wheellocks. Very interesting. My friend’s family business supplied weapons and accouterments for movies like Pirates of the Caribbean. It is a 4th generation Indian business. He actually borrowed a wheellock from a person in the US and reversed engineered it. His goal was to make an “affordable” working wheellock.

Here are the pictures
IMG_2575.jpeg
IMG_2574.jpeg

That’s a good replica of an Italian wheellock!
Not quite ... maybe for the 'overall look', but the lock is extremely underpowered.

Looks like the ones Schroter or Shroder arms offered in the 1990’s.

@Sam squanch is correct and this now becomes very interesting what with the back story added here in Post #1. Maybe the Mendi locks were built either in Spain or India (see the 'Mendi' post below), but that piece as shown above in Post #4 is indeed one of the 2 styles of wheellocks marketed by J. Schroeter of Costa Mesda, CA back in the 1990s.

To me they look anything unlike any of the locks I've ever seen come out of India. I wonder if we'll ever know ...

Link to the Mendi lock comparison:

I am pretty excited about getting this. In the past I only thought he dealt in daggers, swords and damascus. He says he doesn’t have any muskets available but may have some flintlock pistols left. He is pretty much retired. I may see if he wants to liquidate his remaining firearm line.

Educate me on how to tell a lock is underpowered by looking at the front. Maybe not large enough to contain heavy springs?
Ouch ... but you're right. However that is my presumption from handling and working on 3 of them just to be able to get 2 of them to spark somewhat reliably, ableit a tiny spark as it was ... still, there was a spark.

There's a host of issues with Schroeter wheelllocks, poor/weak springs, lucky to get 1/2 a turn when wound (makes that even worse with spring issues), cam machined wrong, parts fit, etc. ...

Ouch ... but you're right. However that is my presumption from handling and working on 3 of them just to be able to get 2 of them to spark somewhat reliably, ableit a tiny spark as it was ... still, there was a spark.

There's a host of issues with Schroeter wheelllocks, poor/weak springs, lucky to get 1/2 a turn when wound (makes that even worse with spring issues), cam machined wrong, parts fit, etc. ...
In the past I have sent a rare German dagger to be duplicated by the Indians. Although the final product came out perfect, it took several years to get to that point. I had to send back the prototype parts several times to get it corrected. The Indian craftsmen can do wonderful work, but you have to keep on them. Look at their damascus blade work. It is great.
Have you tried to remake or re-temper the springs?

The wheellock came today. The wood to metal fit and finish is very nice. Metal work looks typical for Indian workmanship. All in all not bad for a gun a little shy of $500. Not knowing anything about the mechanics, I can tell that a stronger spring would probably be better. I will remove the lock to study the mechanism next. Unfortunately he didn’t have anymore. I will be able to compare to my friend’s real Germanic wheellock kn Monday. I didn’t even know he had one. Here it is.

Attachments

• Resized_20240215_133717.jpeg
    Resized_20240215_133717.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 0
I got a dremel diamond blade today and In cut some pyrite. Man is it dusty. I cut some rectangular pieces and I can get some sparking. Not enough for my liking.

Last edited:
Back