• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian arrow tips for flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce M

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Will north eastern american Indian arrow heads work on flintlocks, or are they wrong kind of flint.Ones that I found years ago were black or grayish in color.Still have some broken ones.

try them and see. But bought flints are cheap, so why use up genuine artifacts that are likely worth more than ready made ones' values?

Joseph Doddridge notes that in AWI era in western Pennsylvania they supplemented their chronically short gunflint supply with arrowheads they found. Assuming they are actually flint, they'd probably work.

I agree with Col. Batguano, though, in that there's no need to damage a genuine artifact.

Find a museum or historical site to give that arrow head to....You obviously have no interest in it's history. If it is made from chert it will work if you can get it to fit....but it will work somewhat poorly, a waste of time and resource....I suggest buying your flints...or making your own arrowhead....

I have 2 that I cherish...rescued from industrial development.

Obsidian I don't think will work; it's basically glass and while easy to work, I don't think it's hard enough to shave off sparks from steel.

Around here, most arrowheads are white quartzite and I don't think they'd work for gunflints.

When I was a kid, you could pick up a quart of arrow heads (mostly atl-atl heads) in a field near my home. Most were broken, but you call occasionally find a complete small head (we called them bird heads). And most were quartzite.

I've never found a gunflint.

:thumbsup: and old flint is a living piece of history,and thought they can be found by the tin they need to be protected. A new flint head will cost as much or more then a gun flint,and a gun flint will be the right shape.
Should you live in a place with flint grows wild you can pick up one and break it with a hammer. In a pile of chips you will find a few chips you can use.

At this time I don't have a flintlock sold my T C 50 cal to a friend in need of one.It was an early one from the 70's When I get another rifle I am going to try some of the broken arrow heads they have little value.Once found a broken head that was 6 " long if complete would have been 12" long.Must have been for a elephant.lol

I have tried obsidian before and don't think much of it. I got a couple of shots using one then it kinda "died".

Bruce M said:
At this time I don't have a flintlock sold my T C 50 cal to a friend in need of one.It was an early one from the 70's When I get another rifle I am going to try some of the broken arrow heads they have little value.Once found a broken head that was 6 " long if complete would have been 12" long.Must have been for a elephant.lol
The 12" head was probably a spear head.....

It saddens me when we value things only by the paper they can put in our pockets.... :shake:

I have a box of Indian "arrow heads" and a big stone tomahawk or ax head that my Dad found as a kid in the 1920's. I tried to donate them to the local museum and they wouldn't take them. Evidently it has to do with Indian rights and ownership issues. Finder's keeper's does not apply I guess.
I sure wouldn't bust them up using them as flints though.

Bigger than spear 12" long and 6 " wide if complete.My guess for ceremony.I would not break up complete points,never said that.Broken points that were 2 " when whole are 3/4 to an inch long damaged.May work if they will spark.

I sold the T C Hawken at loss only asked $ 100 Was worth way more,said a friend was in need of one.

Some years back My dad and I were going fishing. We had to walk along a corn field to get there and dad found a arrow head laying in the field in perfect shape. He gave it to me. I feel bad now because I was going to give it to one of my kids when they were old enough to appreciate it and dad is gone now. I forgot and left it in my pocket when it went through the wash and it's ruined now.

Once a serious arrowhead hunter I have a bucket full of broken pieces, none have any value in my opinion.

I am sure some would make gun flints with very little chipping. I always have a pile of real gun flints so I have never tried to get a spark out of the broken arrow heads.

Back