• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm so depressed with new gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting blue stuff, chisels, and magnifying glasses out now, wow, I thought my early dove season was over!
You should educate yourself with every part of that gun. Back in the day, people grew up with hand built guns and maintained them themselves. You know how to field strip the gun but I always went further than that. Even in the army I went further. I have an 1861 rifled musket now. It was in horrible shape when I got it. First thing I did was tare that gun apart to it's core.
KIMG1202~2.JPG
KIMG1214~2.JPG
75120.jpeg

Looks and works pretty good now. I can hit the paper out to 50-75 yards but the 150 year old rifling has seen better days. I'm hoping a relining of the barrel by Bobby Hoyt will put this gun back in the 10 ring at a hundred yards. BTW, the other gun I shoot is a Pedersoli flintlock. I bought that gun in unfired condition from another forum member. I took it completely apart the day I got it. Don't be afraid, jump in, there's nothing in that gun you can't fix one way or another. We'll be here to help!
Neil

Anymore, firearms of any price can easily be regarded as DIY kits, requiring your handwork to become tuned up to work as they were designed.
Unfortunately, every arm that is completed by it's owner is an endorsement to its manufacturer. I have returned perhaps a dozen Italian and U.S. pieces of unfinished business to their seller. Until others do the same, the manufacturers must feel their product is good enough for the low standards we hold them to. I am not a gunsmith, I am a shooter.

Last edited:
@Hawk78 is in a tough spot, already hunting when the failure occurred.
Send it out to whomever for repair and get it back whenever, hunting season over.
Or turn to the forum to ask for help in the diagnosis of the issue to continue hunting.
Personally it makes me very proud to not only diagnose and repair my own but in the field should a failure arise he will be better equipped to deal with it.
Lastly it makes it even easier for me to recommend the forum to friends that ask where I saw this or that knowing the great folks here are willing to help to the degree I witnessed.
Great job to all that helped and to @Hawk78 for getting your repair done.

Half cock, or else the hammer will hit the nipple, preventing you to put the lock in place. Also check to see if the barrel needs to be removed upwards a tad to provide clearance for the lock plate.

Problems I've had that I've fixed myself were all of the incomplete finishing nature where simple removal of wood remedied the problem. These kinds of problems are simple to fix for anyone with an investigative nature, plus I'd rather be out shooting than waiting to ship & get return of something that will take several months.
In the matter of actual manufacturer fault with mechanical defects and safety issues, there's no question that the warranty should be utilized.

Problems I've had that I've fixed myself were all of the incomplete finishing nature where simple removal of wood remedied the problem. These kinds of problems are simple to fix for anyone with an investigative nature, plus I'd rather be out shooting than waiting to ship & get return of something that will take several months.
In the matter of actual manufacturer fault with mechanical defects and safety issues, there's no question that the warranty should be utilized.
I 100 percent agree.
There are several unmentionable weapons in our home and to some degree most are ok but even still some still need a little massage to work best.
And I do agree that if it were mechanical in nature it would go back.

Back