• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli shotgun malfunction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday while upland hunting my Pedersoli shotgun failed. I pulled the right hammer partially and it slipped, and I could feel something weird within the gun. I tried to cock the hammer but it would not stay at all. Went to truck and took the lock out. There were small metal pieces loose. Cleaned and tested, the hammer would now stay at full cock but not half-cock. I assembled the gun and continued my hunt. I was by myself and chose to put a musket cap on only when the dog pointed, and I was ready to approach the point. Made it through the day. Back at home I took the lock apart and compared it to the left lock. The entire half-cock notch loop is broke off. I was able to cut a new notch and set the angle just right, and it is working again. The hammer is slightly further forward that is used to be at half-cock, but it is secure in the notch. I hit it pretty hard to see if it would jump off, and also squeezed the trigger. The new notch will work. I found a part on-line, the "tumbler", so I will get it to have if needed. It's a $55 part. Not terrible to fix a problem.....

Repros are a problem just waiting to let you down ,save more of your money buy a original sxs and go out in the field with more piece of mind knowing that your gun is going to do what you expect.
Feltwad

I have 3 Purdey's. There's a time and place for an original, especially with high 4-digit to 5-digit price tags....
Purdeys or not there are no different or better made than those by a provincial gun maker. I agree there is a difference in price of a London gun for which you pay for the name has most parts come from the Birmingham gun trade just the same has a provincial gun maker
Feltwad

The only problem I've had with my Pedersolis was a broken sear spring (an even cheaper part), and I've put a lot of rounds through those guns. My originals, have certainly required the attention of a gunsmith on occasion. Trigger pulls becoming too light, hammer thumb lever breaking off. Good originals on the US side of the Atlantic are fairly rare.

Back