• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition Issue and other questions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Renegade in 54 caliber in excellent condition. Finding your forum has renewed my interest in muzzleloading, as I haven't shot this rifle in probably 8 years.

So, after reading many posts and posing a few questions, I got out to the range today. The rifle shot well with PRB's, 90 grains of Goex Clear Shot FFg and #11 magnum caps. However, I had a number of misfires and had to recap about every other shot. I remember that this did occur it the past too.

Are there better nipples or loading processes that may insure better ignition? I do run a dry patch between shots to reduce fouling and ease loading.

Also, I shot RB's in both .530 and .535 with 18 thou patches lubed with Bore Butter. Is the diameter just a choice of which shoots more accurately? The .530's were much easier to load although both were accurate at 50 yards.

Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide.

Tony

Couple things,
It could be the fire channel,, the small hole between the nipple and the main charge in the bore is fouled a bit with storage crude. Take the barrel out and clean it with the breech sitting in a bucket with a few inches of water and little dish soap. Use a snug patch on the cleaning jag and a pump action to move the solution rapidly through the flash channel. Be sure to dry the bore and nipple area well after cleaning.

Using a Dry patch between shots can actually push fouling down into the flash channel and plug it. A patch damp with spit, water, windex,,,will actually help pull fouling out.
(others will share different methods)

Pretty much any after market nipple is better than the stock nipples, Hot Shot and Red Hot are two poular brands.

Another thing that works well for cleaning the fire channel is to run a wet pipe cleaner down thru it.

This can be easily done after removing the nipple by just snaking it down into the small hole at the bottom of the nipple threads.

Pipe cleaners can sometimes be found at the local Drug store or any Tobacco shop in the area.

I've always ran an alcohol saturated patch or a patch with brake clean down the barrel before loading, especially after long periods between shooting sessions.
Also, how old are your caps? Might be worth your while to buy some new ones.. The others advice that have been posted previously is good advice indeed..I just figured I'd ad a little to what they said. :v

In looking for Red and Hot shot nipples, I ran across a T/C nipple that allows the use of Musket Caps, is this an option for better ignition?

Thanks,

Tony

I had the very same issues with the same gun when I started about 6 years ago. I was using bore butter, Triple 7 and #11's. First I tried the TC nipples that hold musket caps and no real improvement. Then based on advice from some other shooters I switched to real black powder and spit patches. So now I use the standard TC nipple with #11's, Goex ffg and spit patches with a result of no more misfire issues. I do not want to get into the heated debate over running a patch through after every shot but if you do I would make it a wet one and not dry. Spit, windex etc....I personally find that using a spit patch with the shot allows me to not have to wipe between shots. When hunting I use Track's Mink Oil for a patch lube. That is my method with all of my guns.

Thanks, I'm going to get some real BP and maybe one of the T/C Hot Shot nipples. I do like patching between shots, I'll give the windex a try.
The most I can shoot without loading becoming more difficult due to fouling is 3 or 4 shots. Maybe BP will be different, but Clear-Shot is what I have on hand now.

Read and heed:

Using a Dry patch between shots can actually push fouling down into the flash channel and plug it. A patch damp with spit, water, windex,,,will actually help pull fouling out.
(others will share different methods)

Pretty much any after market nipple is better than the stock nipples, Hot Shot and Red Hot are two poular brands.

Here is how I shoot my Renegade and it works very well as I have never had a misfire at least close enough in recent memory to remember! Mighty bold talk, huh?

I use Pyrodex RS because it is so much easier to get but I prefer GOEX fffg. Leave to other subs, if you go that route on the store shelves.
I have switched to a TC Hot Shot nipple but it isn't necessary and musket caps are really not necessary.
Just common No. 11 caps form Remington or CCI.
Bore Butter and more instead of less is better or just plain olive oil.
.018 pillow ticking patch either the packaged kind or some but material from WalMart.
.530 Harnady round ball.

But first clean your gun. I mean really clean your gun. Use a bore light. Use pipe cleaners.
Stop swabbing between shots. If after many shots you feel you just have to swab, use a small spray bottle with denatured alcohol in it. Never use a DRY patch. Did I say NEVER? Use this alcohol patch first before you start shooting to wipe out any oil left from your through cleaning process.

I usually don't shoot that heavy load, 90 grs, instead prefer loads around 70 to 80 grs. Oh, and one other thing nipples do “wear” out so replacement is not uncommon after a while.

I'm gonna lay your issue at the feet of the Clear Shot. I only used it once, and the second half of the can got dumped on the lawn. it was harder to light that Pyrodex in a GPR, so I would expect the same in a TC Hawken. Awful stuff in my hands, but others might have found ways to be happy.

I just checked the Goex site, and they don't even seem to list Clear Shot any more.

That makes me guess you're using the same can you had trouble with whenever you last used it. If I recall correctly the Clear Shot was a sub based on Citric Acid like American Pioneer, and that stuff deteriorates really fast after you open a can.

Swap powders and I think the issue will clear itself with no changes to your rifle.

If you swab between each shot then think about snapping a cap to clean out the passage from the nipple to the bore- you can aim at a blade of grass to see if the force of the cap moves the grass. A lot of guys don't swab, the powder charge passing by the fouling in the bore, that then is pushed down on top of the charge as a PRB is seated. Try it, you may decide it is the better option. Swabbing between every shot is more for conicals, IMHO.

necchi said:

Could you elaborate on this statement? I have read elsewhere that the T/C nipple is the shorter of those being mentioned and as such, offers the flash a shorter travel.
I am not trying to start an argument, just asking to sort out the differences between the nipples.

Many thanks for all the advice. I will try them all and see what works. This is just too much fun. I will try lighter charges and see how it goes.

Another question, not knowing what I was doing at the time I bought a box of Hornady .535 RB's. Patching with a .018 it was pretty tight to load. Since my best accuracy is with .530's, I prefer to use those, but for fun shooting can I use the .535's with either a .010 or .015 patch?

yes you can.. and using a larger dia. ball and thinner patch combo might even improve your accuracy a tad, you'll have to try different things to see what works best in your rifle. AND NO... swabbing between shots is not just for conicals..
:v

Longtrain said:
I have a T/C Renegade in 54 caliber in excellent condition. Finding your forum has renewed my interest in muzzleloading, as I haven't shot this rifle in probably 8 years.

So, after reading many posts and posing a few questions, I got out to the range today. The rifle shot well with PRB's, 90 grains of Goex Clear Shot FFg and #11 magnum caps. However, I had a number of misfires and had to recap about every other shot. I remember that this did occur it the past too.

Are there better nipples or loading processes that may insure better ignition? I do run a dry patch between shots to reduce fouling and ease loading.

Also, I shot RB's in both .530 and .535 with 18 thou patches lubed with Bore Butter. Is the diameter just a choice of which shoots more accurately? The .530's were much easier to load although both were accurate at 50 yards.

Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide.

Tony

I use Ballistol dampened patches, (not totally soaking wet), and have no problems shooting all day without wiping between shots.

If you continue to use Clear Shot, I would consider a musket cap.

If you're getting good accuracy with the .530 balls, I would use them.

You can get real BP by UPS from Powder, Inc. and a couple other places.

I find RWS 1075's to be the best cap.

The Hot Shot is about the best nipple you can get.

My :2 , and worth every penny!

After you pour your powder charge down the barrel, before you push the ball down, give the rifle a couple of sharp slaps on the stock opposite side of your lock to encourage powder into the breech area. Consider using a finer (FFFg)powder. T/C locks should fire every time.

It's ok to use FFFg in a .54? (Excuse my inexperience) :idunno: I though that that size bore needed FFg?

So, if I get some FFFg, does the charge by volume remain the same or does it need to be modified due to smaller grains?

Thanks for helping this newbie.

Tony

Longtrain said:
It's ok to use FFFg in a .54? (Excuse my inexperience) :idunno: I though that that size bore needed FFg?

What you just quoted was the old rule of grain size, and it clung on for too many years past it's use, in my opinion.

The new rule is to use whatever works the best in your rifle. My daughter has a .54 rifle that will not shoot worth a darn when using ffg goex, but fffg shrinks the groups down to a respectable size.

Experiment with powders, patch thickness, lubes, ball sizes. This is what makes it fun. :thumbsup: Bill

Latest posts

Back