• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideas for filling chip in stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a product called P.C. Woody that was recommended on this forum and it worked well and stained well.

BTW - People say use bees wax. I have a stick of that . . dumb question, how do you fill with it ? Melt it and mix it with a color, I assume ??

Baking soda and super glue will certainly fill, and can be sanded, and colored with dye. I've used food coloring with great success. I've used this method on many models: plastic, and wood. That said, I wouldn't "fix" that crack, unless it is a lot worse than it looks in the photo. Sometimes the super glue develops a frosty look, and it may develop that haze over time; not usually, but not rarely, either. In that case it will stand out like a sore thumb.
Model Expo on line and located in Florida sells model making stuff. They have a wide variety of woods for mostly model ship making. Wood stops in walnut,cherry, Beech, bass, maple, from 1/2 a mm thick to 4mm and widths from 1-6 mm

If I was going to fill the crack, I would use a tri-corner file and make a neat cut into the crack. I would cut an oversized triangle piece that would fit the crack tightly and glue it in with superglue. After the glue set, I would shape the patch to match the rest of the lock mortis and stain it.
I would do this except maybe use wood glue rather than superglue. Superglue can be some unfriendly stuff, wood glue you can adjust the piece and it cleans up with water. The glue only needs to be stronger than the wood.
Phil

When checkering I would get a stock with wood that would fuz up bad and some diamonds would break off. Soaking the wood with super glue let me make clean cuts. for a missing diamond I used Accra Glass with the brown stain added. a dab and let get hard, recut and they looked like new. The stain works with 5 minute epoxy too so you can match the wood color. The stain is strong so even a dab on the end of a needle can be enough.
Spread the crack if you can and force the colored epoxy into it.

When checkering I would get a stock with wood that would fuz up bad and some diamonds would break off. Soaking the wood with super glue let me make clean cuts. for a missing diamond I used Accra Glass with the brown stain added. a dab and let get hard, recut and they looked like new. The stain works with 5 minute epoxy too so you can match the wood color. The stain is strong so even a dab on the end of a needle can be enough.
Spread the crack if you can and force the colored epoxy into it.
If you get soft wood like that, get some Minwax Wood Hardener. Works wonders for checkering and carving soft wood!

I would do as Mike Brooks suggested;). This gun would not be worth the time or effort to make it into a "silk purse" it has too many issues. If you just want to learn on doing repairs than this gun is a good candidate for that. Just shoot it and get the experience from it then get a Kimber kit and build yourself a GOOD gun. My two cents worth:ghostly:

Back