• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ID this pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased this at a flea market. I cleaned it up and refinished. The inside of the barel has a seam in it. I don't plan to shoot it. Is it French or Spanish?
100_0903.jpg

100_0907.jpg

100_0905.jpg

The inscription is in Spanish as is the design. I can't see the marks behind the inscription well enough to give an opinion of them.

You've made a wise decision not to shoot it. It is a decoration made to be a conversation piece or a wall hanger.

The writing on the barrel is Spanish and the lock style is called a Miquelet.

The Miquelet lock was a form of flintlock, popular in Spain and a number of other Mediterranean countries.

Unlike a true flintlock, the Miquelet locks mainspring was on the outside of the lock and the hammer was not attached to a 'tumbler' located inside the lock.

The hammer was held in the cocked position by a tab that stuck out of the locks face engaging a notch on the cock (hammer). When the trigger was pulled the tab was pulled back flush with the outer face of the lock.

The Miquelet enjoyed a fairly long popularity with the Spanish but it should be noted that the French, English, German and Americans used the true Flintlock rather than the Miquelet.

The brass barrel band was used by the French (among others) in the mid 1700's. Somewhat later the Americans in the US also used this type of barrel band. In most cases it was used on Military pistols (and muskets).

The shape of the grip isn't much help except to say that prior to 1800 most of the pistols had a more bulbous area at the bottom.
If I had to guess about the time period based on the grip shape I would say early 1800's whether we were speaking of European or American pistols.

I hope this helps.

Zonie said:
You've made a wise decision not to shoot it. It is a decoration made to be a conversation piece or a wall hanger.

+1

Identical wall-hangers to this are sold here in UK by World Wide Arms for about $75 in a natty treasure-chest lookin' box.

The individual parts of this replica are cast in a sort of pot-metal like Zamak/Mazak - shooting it would leave you in a world of pain and pieces.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund of Oregon

If they put a flash hole on that thing, it would be a very large liability for the manufacturer. I'm guessing there is none...

It has a flash hole. It is brass, steel, and wood, no die cast. I paid $30 at a flea market. It was rusty enough that none of the markings were readable. I used an electrelitic cleaning process. I have poured melted wax down the barrel so one of my grandsons can't ever fire it. It is here on my computer desk as an ornament. When my grandsons come over they ask if they can handle it. It's heavy.

:thumbsup: I know why you're asmiling. My congratulations to them boys and to grandpa for learn'n them right :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Vern

Latest posts

Back