• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Should've Listened . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paco97

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last winter I discovered this website and bought a Traditions PA Rifle. A lot of you guys here tried to talk me into getting a custom rifle made, but at that time, I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a rifle. Well less than year later, I just ordered a PA Rifle from TOTW website. After messing around with my Traditions rifle to get it tuned, I have realized that a really nice rifle will make my experience a lot more enjoyable. My traditions shoots nice--NOW, but it really started a hunger that I couldn't quench--until now! I'm getting a Lancaster .54 with 44" swamped barrel & L&R Lock--can't wait to get it and to make some smoke. I'm not too crazy about the .54, but I guess I'll have to learn another caliber now. I've only shot 50s in the past.

So to all of you that tried to sway me to a more "expensive" rifle last year, I apologize for not heeding your advice. You definitely get what you pay for with flintlocks, so I should be getting a rifle 3X better than my Traditions. I'm very sorry, but my current actions should make amends for my past actions.

Paco, thanks for buying that rifle from TOW. I have been fighting off the urge to buy it for days. I was just about to give and buy it. I don't need another flinter but that one is going to be a winner.
You will like the .54 they are great all around guns you did well.

Paco-I did the same thing,in some ways I am glad I did.I got to learn about flintlocks,and more importantly what makes a good one.My AH flinter woks great,but I did buy two custom flinters,40 cal,and fifty.What a huge difference,you will love the 54.Be safe and good shooting...Respectfully montanadan

That's a beautiful rifle! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. And being .54 caliber, you have an unlimited range of North American animals that you can hunt humanly with it. :thumbsup:

redwing said:
Paco, thanks for buying that rifle from TOW. I have been fighting off the urge to buy it for days. I was just about to give and buy it. I don't need another flinter but that one is going to be a winner.
You will like the .54 they are great all around guns you did well.

You are very welcome! Its a pleasure to help out a fellow BP brother. Just a couple days ago I was looking at their barn gun in 50 and had my eye on it. Then this morning, I went to get that one and it was gone. I then saw this gun and fell in love with it. Definitely love at first sight! The add says its well tuned and sparks real nice--and thats what got my attention.

The good thing about going cheap first is that I really did learn about the workings of a flinter, and for that I am forever grateful!

I was able to make it to the Hay Creek Festival in Morgantown, PA this weekend on vacation and I saw a Berks County Schimmel and I could tell right away that the quality was far superior than my factory rile.

This disease is spreading quickly--next in line is a smoothie.

paco97 said:
Last winter I discovered this website and bought a Traditions PA Rifle. A lot of you guys here tried to talk me into getting a custom rifle made, but at that time, I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a rifle.

In your defense, what if you didn't like shooting flintlocks? (don't laugh, it could have went that route)

You would have been better off forking out of a little cash than spending a heaping pile of cash on something you wouldn't use, from an economical point of view...

Fortunately, you love the flintlock and there is no hope for you now, like the rest of us, but at least you are in good company...

Good point musketman--Fortunately for me, I really enjoy flinters, and there's no turning back now.

Lancaster Rifle

Here's a link to the rifle with pics for those that wanted to see it.

Welcome to the flintoholics world paco97.There is no cure,just more smokepoles to acquire. :grin:

Boy you don good. :thumbsup: This remark you made about starting a hunger you coulden't quench-untill now, :rotf: :rotf: that's what you think. :hmm: You just walked into the resterant just wate untill you are seated and read the menue. :thumbsup:

thats ok i started out with a T/C hawken flintlock in .50 that i re stocked with maple and now i'm in the middle of a 1770 lancaster style in .54 and soon as i'm done with that my .36 small game rifle....my name is bob and i'm a black powderaholic.........bob

331786.jpg

Paco, This is going to be a love affair that will never end. Enjoy! That is a beautiful rifle.

What part of West-by-God are you in?

The eastern panhandle! Capon Bridge, WV -- about 20 mins west of winchester, va.

Paco,

You will be happy with that gun. .54 is a great caliber. I have two guns Brian has made, and they are both well made. A .50cal Isaac Haines for my 15yr old, and a .45 Poor Boy for my 11 yr old. Both flinters of course.

He's a very nice gentlemen as well.

Good! That's what I like to hear. I read some other reveiws about his guns and they all said the same. + I figure TOW is very reputable and they have a 10 day tryout period, so that makes it a pretty safe purchase. If the lock would happen to suck, I'm not stuck with it. I also trust TOWs reviews on each guns, and they say this particular frizzen sparks really good and they hit the middle of the pan. I'm sure I'll enjoy the 54--I've just always shot 50s, so I must be getting old--cause its getting harder and harder to try diffrent stuff. The thing that really atracted me to this rifle was the swamped barrel. It's got nice looking brass & features--but that swamped barrel is what really threw me over the edge for it.

In your defense, what if you didn't like shooting flintlocks? (don't laugh, it could have went that route)

MusketMan,

We rarely disagree, but I have to jump in here and point out that going with a cheap flinter is just a way to insure that you won't like them. You might get by with a cheap cap lock, but never a cheap flinter.

Paco,

I feel your pain. I had a few cheap guns and soon upgraded them. I kept the old ones as back up or loaners to get other people started.

Good luck!

CS

The only difference you will notice is the bigger hole, recoil is about the same. The biggest thing you will notice is the way that swamped barrel handles. All you need is about 70 to 80 grains of FFG, behind your patched ball for optimum performance, so you hardly even need more powder. Right now I'm using 60 gr. of FFFG and getting point of aim at 50 yards, and It shoots thru a 4x4 with no trouble.
Bill

Went the same route, bought a half a dozen diffent factory B/P's and finaly decided that the only way to go was "one of a kind"
That's a nice looking rifle. You will be very happy with it.
:thumbsup:

Paco, don't sweat it. A lot of us start that way. I've shot production guns for decades and am only recently looking into a custom gun. I've never had a bunch of money to spend on one, so I figured it was better to get a little variety as I went along until someday THE gun called out to me. It sounds like you found yours! Congrats and enjoy. :)

I have several production guns. Gpr flint and cap,TC flint, and a CVA cap lock. I also have a TVM Lancaster. My production guns are just as good a shooting gun as my more expensive Lancaster. I shoot the production guns more than the lancaster because of easy cleaning. They have a removeable barrel the lancaster don't.
Old Charlie

Latest posts

Back