• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I found an Armsport no 5146 Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palepainter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I can not find any information on this gun anywhere. Armsport model no 5146, 50 cal. I was hoping someone may have some kind of an idea on the twist of the barrel. It was made in Italy, 13/16ths across the flats. Light compared to my other 3 Hawken. I got a great deal on it for another shooter.

Just remember that 13/16 across the flats is really thin for a 50 caliber. Use only light loads and don't try to maximise your charges. :idunno:

ohio ramrod said:
Just remember that 13/16 across the flats is really thin for a 50 caliber. Use only light loads and don't try to maximise your charges. :idunno:
A lot of the older Pedersoli .50s had 13/16" barrels, including mine. They seem to stand up to normal round-ball hunting loads well, and I know that some have been used with conicals. There was a discussion about these skinny .50 barrels on another board, and a fairly-well-known builder said that he did not like making them, but he did if the customer insisted. I don't recall what make of barrel he used, but he said that he had tested them with loads of up to 3 balls and 300 grains of powder (can't recall the granulation) and found no dimensional changes or other signs of excessive stress. I can't remember what his usual proof load was, except that it was designed to approximate a worst-case idiot/inattentive shooter multiple loading. I'm not advocating magnumizing these, either, just noting that modern barrels can be tougher than we think.

Regards,
Joel

As a target shooter only, it will see no more than 80gr at a 100 yd target. I drop down to 65 gr after that below a 100. I only shoot patch and ball. I appreciate the information regardless.

Latest posts

Back