• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hush Puppies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All the Corn Bread talk got me thinkin' about these. Any of you sounthern folk have your own recipes?

1 Cup Corn meal; plain
1/2 Cup Flour; plain
1 Teaspoon Baking powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1/2 Cup Onion; chopped
1 Can Cream style corn (16 oz)
Milk, if needed

Mix dry ingredients. Add onion and corn. Mix well. If more liquid is needed to make desired consistency, add a little milk. Drop heaping teaspoons into deep hot fat. Fry until golden brown. (If cooked in deep fat, they float to the top when done.)

"(If cooked in deep fat, they float to the top when done.) "

LEJ...I was just informed by the War Department that if your same preparation is done just right....they not only float to the top, but they will gently roll themselves when completely done on one side...Great receipe! :agree:

BTW...I thought this was some deep, dark, secret receipe that my pain & strife had brought from the South with her. Seems it feel in there with the Cat Fish, Cole Slaw thing...ya know..Cat Fish, Cole Slaw, and Hush Puppies.
Kinda like Basball, Chevrolet, and Apple Pie.

Russ

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sounds good.
Another good simple recipe for a corn pawn (skillet cooked) or hushpuppies is.
2 cups self rising corn meal
1 cup selfrising flour I like 2 parts cornmeal to one part flour. If you like your corn pawn more corny use less or omit the flour.
1-2 eggs The more eggs you use the more cakelike the pawn becomes.
1 tablespoon full cooking oil You can subsitute oil for eggs just add more oil if you have no eggs. You can also use oil and water in place of milk but the pawn will not be as good.
mix in buttermilk or milk until mixture is pourable but not soupy.
cold skillet method, my favorite method, grease an iron skillet heavily with lard or Crisco pour in mixture place in oven heat at 450 until top is golden to medium brown the undercrust will be a dark brown and is the best part. A toothpick can be inserted and withdrawn,if it has no dough sticking to it the pawn is done. The pawn should plop on to the plate if the skillet was greased enough.
hot skillet method, heat an iron skillet with about 1/4 inch of cooking oil. Pour mixture into hot grease and place in oven. Use a well seasoned skillet or it will stick.
Cook hushpuppies as mentioned above by Zonie. You can help your puppies along by poking then with a spoon to flip them.
You can add sugar,corn,peppers,onions,cracklins(pork remnants from lard making)or whatever you fancy to the above mixture.
Fritters or flapjacks can be cooked like pancakes but make the mixture a little soupy.

LEJ,
where is the garlic(minced, chopped or powdered) we need garlic!!!!! Please??

snake-eyes :imo: :peace: :) :thumbsup:

LEJ,
you know the ingredients for hush puppies are like a good chili, stew or soup everyone has a good one. there is no such thing as bad stew, chili or hush puppy if you been out hunting all day and come back to camp hungry(which always is the case) :m2c: :imo:

snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back