• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting-shooting downhill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redwing said:
Hunting in the west across sage brush prairies on a bright clear day its easy to misjudge range. The target is more often farther than you think. Shooting a M/L at 100 yds. is common. That being said, with prmitve iron sights it is next to impossible to judge a 2" sight correction at that distance. I doubt the concern over holding off for elevation change. :shake:

I see your Avatar says S.W. Wyoming. I remember landing at Denver Colorado and then getting on an old C-40, black smoke and eveything starting the engines, to fly 45 minutes to a landing stip no bigger than a postage stamp at Casper, then picked up and drove to Douglas Wyoming for an Antelope hunt. Could not believe how flat the land out there was and at the time all the oil rigs we passed were still, this was in 88' and I couldn't believe they weren't pumping.

Was no open sites there. :haha: If I was going to almost kill my self getting there I ment business. It was a fun trip compliments of the MS society that takes 15 disabled hunters each year to hunt Antelope out there. All I had to do was pay for the plane ticket, rest was paid for. I remember good people in Wyoming. :thumbsup:

It is my understanding that it is best to aim slightly low when shooting uphill or downhill because of the optical illusion over iron sights; not because of any ballistic or gravitational consideration.

It is not from illusiom it is from the difference between the actual distance of the long leg and the distance of the base as described above,it is minimal and would not require any compensation untill the angle becomes severe with a considerable distance of the hypotenuse, one could be shooting an animal that is 100yds away)hypotenuse) but only have an actual base distance of 50 yds which would ballisticaly come into play,I have tried to avoid such terrain for quite a few years.

"First of all, it amazes me when I see people talking about 100, 120 yards."

I have to agree, it is almost....comical, or maybe that is what they are shooting.

Yes I know about that program it is still going on and getting bigger. They also have a program now for the blind.

Sorry, those were not Oil Rigs{Drilling Rigs} you saw going down to Glenrock. The wells had been completed the Rigs removed. What you saw were pumping units. This is a pump used to bring the oil to the surface. They are set on timers to even the flow of oil. They shut off and on. :thumbsup:

TG I am amazed that you can not use a good rifle at 100yds. Hunting Antelope with B/P you had better be able to shoot at 100 Yds. or no goat. A rifle that delivers a 3" 3 shot group and is zeroed at 100 yds. is not that big of deal. :)

redwing said:
Yes I know about that program it is still going on and getting bigger. They also have a program now for the blind.

Sorry, those were not Oil Rigs{Drilling Rigs} you saw going down to Glenrock. The wells had been completed the Rigs removed. What you saw were pumping units. This is a pump used to bring the oil to the surface. They are set on timers to even the flow of oil. They shut off and on. :thumbsup:
Oh I did not know that about the rigs, it was actually the first time this kid had ever gone past our place in the Adirondacks. I know this is off topic a bit but last I knew I had the 2nd longest shot in the hunt out there but that was a long time ago and I'm sure thats no longer true.

I must say it was 3 of the most wonderful days of my life, the people were some of the best I ever met and I at that time always wanted to go back on a black powder hunt for either Antelope or Mulie, had plenty of guys willing to guide for nothing, just had to get back out there. Unfortunately my body started giving me trouble in 89, 90 and 2 hip surgerys later put an end to any dream hunts for me. But I remember Wyoming with nothing but fondness. :thumbsup:

These pictures are from an earlier post I had about my Kodiak. I shot this doe with my 72cal Kodiak at 44yds on the side of a fairly steep hill. I was 18’ up in my tree stand. Because of the steep angle I shot her at, the .690RB hit just below the spine about 3 ½”. It looks like the shot was higher, but it’s because the way the deer is laying.

PA180013800x600ThisiswheretheRBente.jpg

PA180016exitThisiswheretheRBexcited.jpg

From the entrance and exit wound, you can get an Idea just how steep the angle was or should I say how just how steep the hill was (or both). She was moving in and out of some thick stuff in front of me. The one or two times that she did present herself were not the best angle’s for a clean kill shot. I’m confident the RB would have traversed her whole body lengthwise but I will not shoot something I am going to eat from the rump forward! Anyway she walked away and than circled back in front of me heading towards my right side. She than moved forward into a small opening and stopped. I aimed a little above the center of the front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The RB entered just below the spine, went through the ribs, pulverizing a lung and proceeded out the other side. I saw her flip over through the smoke at the sound of the shot; it was lights out”¦.clean kill.
Maybe one of these days I will take my angle gauge finder and see how many degrees down I made the shot!

Good Hunting
.690RB

"TG I am amazed that you can not use a good rifle at 100yds"

Oh there was a time,but my rifle days are gone, my concern about the 100-125 yd shots is those using tradtional gear ( primitive sights PRB) and not proficient with it at the outside limits of caliber and game type, shooting beyound ones range and caliber capacity has been the bigest reason for lost animals on ML hunts that I have seen over 30+ years, and though many veteran shooters still have the eyes for 100-125 yds shots with fixed sights, I am not so sure that putting this forth as a sound practice to the new hunter is always a good idea, that is why I recommend 50-75 yds shots for those getting started or using lighter cal guns.

Back