• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how used patch looks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gungho

36 Cal.
Reaction score
dose anybody have some pics of used patches I finally was able to find some of my patches yesterday I went out to shoot in the cold -4F and was able to find my patches on the snow and was wondering if they are burnt to much but need something to compair them to
thanks gung

These are some patches from my 20 gauge Howdah pistol (they have a bit of dirt on them from the mud)...

IMG_1822.jpg

thanks sorry if I posted in the wrong spot not very computer literate my patches have less holes in them but are almost completely browned from the charge is this still good
Gung

Long as there are no holes or tears, you're probably fine. My whole patch isn't browned- just the bottom. But that probably doesn't mean they are working any better than yours. If you're getting the accuracy you want, get on back to shooting!

Holes are not good! A sharp crown at the muzzle, or burrs on a new barrel's lands are often the cause of small tears. Polish the crown, and then polish the lands and grooves by wrapping 4-0 steel wool around a bore brush and run it up and down the barrel a 100 strokes. Then clean the barrel thoroughly before shooting. The steel wool should remove all the burrs, and smooth the bare somewhat.

I have also done this with damp tight patches ( usually 2) over my cleaning jag, with toothpaste added to the patches. Run this back and forth in the bore, and it will also polish the lands, and remove burrs. You should expect to check the patches after 20 strokes, renew the toothpaste, or replace the patch and renew the toothpaste before going on with thestrokes. If the jag/patch combination is thick enough it should take a bit of effort to push the rod down the barrel and pull it out. But, when it comes out even that first time, the patching should be blackening. Use a strong range rod for this type of work. And, draft a friend or family member to hold the gun down while you stroke the rod back and forth.

If the tears are due to gas cutting, that is usually an indication that you are using too thin a patch, or a very hot load of powder for that bore diameter, or both.. We see patch burning when guns using FFFg powder begin to exceed 70 grains for the load being used. It seems to be the breaking point in .45-.58 caliber rifles.

Beware the substitute powders, as they burn at a much hotter temperature. We see lots of patch burning problems, when they are used, instead of Black Powder. YOu are looking for burns in the center, and then streaks that run through the friction ring, and on out to the edge of the patch. This usually will occur at the top of the RB, as it sits in the barrel in front of the powder charge. If the ball/patch thickness combination is not thick enough to fill the grooves, gase will try to escape out the top before the ball obturates, or upsets, on firing, and before the patching can close any gap in that top groove. Use a thicker patch to fix this. And, then, use either that filler, or an OP wad of some kind to act as a " firewall". to protect the PRB.

Here are three different thicknesses.

patches.jpg

This is actually a scan from my pre-digital camera days not too long ago. The 0.010" is decidedly crispied. Interestingly, the "square" patch was cut at a loading block and I don't know why but that particular block yields mostly square patches??? Only difference is it is deeper than my others.

Back