• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to wear your shooting bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawika

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to muzzleloading and I was wondering how to wear a shooting bag/powder horn.

DeerCam002_zps93a4cd24.jpg

I wear mine a little lower than the one in the photo on my strong side and if i am going to be moving a lot i run the belt that my knife and other misc. hangs from over the strap to keep it from flopping around. read it was period correct somewhere

I wear my bag with the top at slightly above the belt line on the right. I shoot right handed, even though I'm a lefty.

Kawika I wear my bag on the right side and my horn on the left and hang my powder measure ,vent pick and pan brush on a thong from my strap with my patchin material on it also .I cut at the muzzle durin squirrel huntin and use a loadin block for deer season.This keeps it all handy and out of the way when ya don't need it tucked in the bag .Curt

Very -- military would often run those slings under waist belts for the very same reasons. Many of us have run with slung gear (cartridge box, bayonet hangar, canteen, haversack, blanket maybe...) and it's just ridiculous...

Howdy!

I wear mine on the right side in similar fashion as that shown in the picture, just higher by quite a bit. I rarely if ever take my horn and pouch off on a serious trek, and will sleep with them on. They become a part of me, much like wearing a watch or having a wallet in modern clothing. I can easily tuck them under my elbow when running, and have no fear of anything flopping or falling out.

I put on my shooting pouch first, then my horn hang above it, but on the outside. Reason is the horn is needed to move towards the barrel when loading, but the pouch can stay put.

But that is just me.
;) :)

all strong side (right handed, right side) w powder measure and loading block, as well as a trade striker as back up mounted mid strap.
My bag is hung on a hemp strap and mounted w brass rings, I hang my pick n brush off that and have strung my horns onto the strap fore and aft. On my left is my haversack.

Those of you wearing it "strong side", is this just so you can use your "strong" hand for manipulating stuff, or does the location of your lock play Into to it? I'm right handed but left eyed so I'm planning to shoot left handed. I have a powder horn on my Christmas list, but I don't know if I should ask for a left or right hand carry!!

-GB

mostly so everything is in quick easy reach and easier still to remember where everything is.

I'm left eye dom. too, but still shoot alla righty.

When I was first taught to shoot bp I was shown to wear my pouch and horn(s) on my weak side (left)

While I shot I started catching the butt of the rifle in the straps on my shoulder :cursing: So of course I switched to strong side carry :thumbsup:

There is no right or wrong way of wearing your bag and horn. The right way for you is the way you want to wear it. I happen to like to wear my bag on my right side and my horn on my left side. It's just what feels right to me. You do what feels right to you.

one thing that has been a pain for me is I have my bag, powder horn and priming horn all on their own straps. Givin me apoplectic fits.
where wld be a "good" location and method of mounting the horns to the strap?

I have the horn tied to my bag so it is all one unit. Things on seperate straps are all tucked inside the bags. I don't want a bunch of things flopping around. I have also used my sash to keep the bag from moving around.

It is your bag wear it the way you want to wear it, I think that is what the old timers did too!

I don't use a priming horn, I have a small brass flask for my priming powder and I keep it in my bag. My horn is on my left side and my bag is on my right side. It's just what works for me. As for putting them all on one strap, I have seen it done but it just wasn't for me. Put your horn wherever it is handy for you but out of your way when you don't need it. Try things on a temporary basis until you find what works for you. Once you find what works for you, you can make it permanent.

Nice looking rig. Nice looking rifle. Beautiful woods. I'm jealous. Live it and love it because it ain't nowhere permanent. One day you will wake up and find that it just hurts too much to spend the day in the woods that you love so much. From that day on, you will find yourself spending less and less time in those woods until the day will come when it is all just a beautiful memory. Trust me, I know.

G B said:
I'm right handed but left eyed so I'm planning to shoot left handed.
Wise choice.
My son is cross dominate, right hand/left eye. I saw this early on like at 4-5. Instead of pushing him one way or the other I just observed and watched him switching back-n-forth for a few years. It wasn't till 7 we determined that shooting with the dominant eye was the way and I supported that with left hand guns.

The observation continued and he just naturally hung his accouterments on the right side, :idunno:

Now the interesting thing is like right handed me, we both hold the horn in the left hand and pour into the powder measure in the right hand.

I don't "carry" a shoulder horn, Who said you have to?
I carry a small flask in my pouch, I don't need a 1/4# of powder for a day trip.

Back