• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to Fix Rifling on Lyman Plains Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattole

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Early this year I put together a nice .54 Lyman Plains Pistol. Unfortunately after I did all the wood shaping and filing of the tang etc to be flush with the stock, and after staining and finishing, I test fired the pistol and found that it could not achieve groups better than about 5" at 15 yards, no matter what patch thickness and ball diameter I used.

Upon inspection I found that there was a place in the rifling a few inches from the bore where it looked much shallower than the rest of the rifling, so it seems that it has a defect. Is there someplace I can send the barrel to that can cut the rifling to what it should be? Otherwise I will have to get another barrel from Lyman and try to match it to the stock, which may be very difficult to do without having to file through the nice finish on the wood. Thanks for your suggestions.

IMG_2193.jpg

Can't really help you except to suggest that you call the place that originally sold it to you.

Offer to send them the barrel for their inspection and keep your fingers crossed.

As for re-rifling the barrel, that would be very difficult to do without a cutter that exactly matches the existing rifling.
The cost might be about as much as a rifle because all of the alignment and adjustment needed is similar.

I wonder how it would work to pull the barrel and the breech plug and smooth bore ream it until you get past the bad part of the barrel. Make it groove diameter until you get back into good rifling and than taper it into the existing rifling. I bet it will work just fine and probably be much easier to load. Just a suggestion for a barrel that probably is not going to stay on the gun.MD

Agree with Hadden, you did a marvelous job finishing that pistol. I'd just call Lyman and explain the problem. Be surprised if they didn't send you a new barrel.

P.S. Used to be some great steelheading on the Mattole ...

I don't think there is any "fix" but I suspect if you contact Lyman they will replace the barrel.

Back