• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to cut wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose30273

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK I have a couple of old felt hats, I have a mini crock pot full of beeswax and olive oil and an 1860 army revolver. What can I (or what do you) use to punch out wads other than breaking down and ordering one of the expensive punches from one of the muzzleloading suppliers? Tried some .458 winchester brass but it crumples. Any suggestions? 1/2" id tubing would bee too big (I think) Need something between .455 and .460 for a tight fit in the chamber. My gun shoots .451 balls. Thanks

I use a piece of barrel with the same ID as my tradegun barrel. The wall thickness is sharpened by filing a long tapering edge. You may be able to find some thick-walled steel tubing with the proper ID and accomplish the same. Place your felt on the END-GRAIN of a block of wood and punch to your hearts content...

Try a place like Harbor Freight. They have punch sets pretty cheap. You can check their on-line catalog.

I have done it before with empty revolver cases of the right diameter...slow, but does the job!

I have punches for wads now, but have used 38 special/mag cases for 36 caliber and 45-70 cases for 44 caliber wads. Spin them in the drill press and they will last much longer than pounding them!

Oooooooor you could use a vice and cut many at a
time using the wood block method...I do..

I bought a set of punches at my local discount/surplus store and use sizes for what cal I need. the punches I use have a self cleanout so I don't have to stop every few and push them out the primer hole. The whole set from 1/4"-3/4" cost me a whooping $7.

And 7/16 is .437,,,I can and will make custom punches for anyone who wants one,,,from O1 steel hardened on the cutting edge,,,but it is definitly cheaper to keep on crumpling brass cartridge cases,,,

bought a set of good (US made) punches on flea-bay a while back... never regretted that purchase.

Latest posts

Back