• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many shots in a row without picking or wiping pan ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering how many consecutive shots you've made with out picking touch hole or wiping pan or frizzen , just load and shoot. On a fairly dry day I've got 15 shots before my first flash in the pan with my Traditions Kentucky. On a more humid day is was like 6 shots.

I don't ever wipe my pan or frizzen and I don't have a pick. A typical shoot at my club is 7-8 5-shot relays. I wipe the bore between relays. If my rifle doesn't go BANG it's because I forgot the powder.

It also depends on the powder. Some years back, when Elephant Brand powder was just about the only available powder, two shots was enough to foul the barrel to the point that everything was fouled. Since it doesn't take a lot of time and isn't much of an extra step, I pick the touch hole every shot. Shooting the reenactor grade powder in the King's Musket reminds me of Elephant powder, but that monstrous touch hole gets blown pretty clear on every shot and I can get up to about 10 to 15 shots on a dry day. Shooting blanks in the King's Musket builds up fouling very quickly.

Pans can definitely get muddy sometimes. If I can see powder in the touchhole I don’t pick. I’d love to adapt a pan so where it abuts the barrel there’s a slope instead of a right angle. Not easy to clean that junction when it’s sloppy. But there would be some issues with that design and I’m a purist so, fuggetaboutit.

Sometimes I use a patch on the end of the pick to squeegee the mud there at the pan/barrel junction. A pointy Q tip works too.

Muddy pans are why I like higher touch holes, within reason

WOW that's tough, as my .40 I have to stick a toothpick in the touch hole every time I load, while my .54 I am in the habit of wiping every third shot or so, when I swab the bore. Could I go more shots without?..., probably

LD

Just wondering how many consecutive shots you've made with out picking touch hole or wiping pan or frizzen , just load and shoot. On a fairly dry day I've got 15 shots before my first flash in the pan with my Traditions Kentucky. On a more humid day is was like 6 shots.
Depends on the humidity. That's the short answer.

I can go probably a good 20-30 with my LGPR.

More like half that with my Traditions Deerhunter cheapo.

But, I'm also in California. We don't do humidity.

Pans can definitely get muddy sometimes. If I can see powder in the touchhole I don’t pick. I’d love to adapt a pan so where it abuts the barrel there’s a slope instead of a right angle. Not easy to clean that junction when it’s sloppy. But there would be some issues with that design and I’m a purist so, fuggetaboutit.

Sometimes I use a patch on the end of the pick to squeegee the mud there at the pan/barrel junction. A pointy Q tip works too.

Muddy pans are why I like higher touch holes, within reason
Had the same problem, finally switched to using a toothbrush which took care of the problem.
Doc,

It is my practice to wipe/swab bore after every shot with a damp (not wet) cotton flannel patch then I wipe the pan and frizzen with same patch. Whether I have to or not is debatable, probably not. As far as picking the touchole, IMHO that is a matter of keeping pressures up and getting a clean burn. I find it not necessary hardly ever.

It is my practice to wipe/swab bore after every shot with a damp (not wet) cotton flannel patch then I wipe the pan and frizzen with same patch. Whether I have to or not is debatable, probably not. As far as picking the touchole, IMHO that is a matter of keeping pressures up and getting a clean burn. I find it not necessary hardly ever.
Same here, before every prime wipe pan, frizzen and flint. Learned that from my grandfather and I can't recall him ever having a failure to fire, although it was a lot of years ago and my memory isn't that good.

Latest posts

Back