• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how many guns to the range?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:ff

Now you have me thinking of my old dah. When we went shooting he had two hard sided cases (might have been typewriter cases) one full of pistols & one full of ammo. He would let us shoot what ever we wanted to try. Then take the empty ammo boxes into the gun shop & refill the ammo case on the way home. Then make one of his blackbelts clean the guns :) man that was liven for a 10 year old!

4 hours of shooting at a time. Envious.
I usually only have 1-2.

I always bring more than one gun, but not always 2 MLders. I guarantee if I bring just one rifle, I'll forget something or something will go wrong and I'll be headed home with a frown.

It had been 3 weeks since I"d fired a centerfire rifle and I had my dad's M1 Carbine to try some reloads through. 20 shots in about 5 minutes. Hmm seemed funny to shoot that much in such a short period of time. Was not used to that :)

Melnic said:
4 hours of shooting at a time. Envious.
I usually only have 1-2.

That’s nothing I’ve shot for at least 10 hours before on many occasions.
Shot till I had blisters and bleeding fingers
Shot till my hands were black as coal
Shot till the guns were so dirty they would no longer function
Shot till I couldn’t hold my arms up any more.
Shot till I couldn’t stand anymore so we sat and shot some more
Shot till my eyes wouldn’t focus anymore.
Shot till my shoulder looked like a piece of raw meat.
And my least favorite I shot till I ran out of ammo.
Ah those where the days. :grin:

Clyde, that's a very hard act to follow..... :hatsoff: .

Me, I always take a couple (just in case), usually a couple of rifles and maybe a pistol or two (here we have to shoot a minimum of 6 (recorded) shoots a year in order to keep a pistol licence, so I usually try to get in a pistol session). I'm about to buy an 1892 Winchester, in 44-40, which will be my only cartridge gun so I guess I'll be taking another one along :) .

I now carry at least two rifles with me when I go to the range or to a club shoot. I once drove an hour and a half to shoot in a match. Half way through the match, I ran into trouble with the lock on my rifle and it was out of commission until I could get home and have the tools and parts to work on it. :cursing: I was just an observer for the rest of the match. That taught me to have at least one gun in reserve (and the correct balls, etc. for it) when I venture forth to shoot or hunt. As the Boy Scouts teach "Be prepared". :thumbsup:

I borrowed from your posting and made a poem. I hope you don't mind.

Shot ”˜til my guns would no longer function
Shot ”˜til their innards needed cleaning and unction
Shot ”˜til my fingers were blacker than coal
Shot ”˜til the hours filled up my soul
Shot ”˜til my fingers were blistered and bleeding
Shot ”˜til my shoulder was aching and pleading
Shot ”˜til I knew I could no longer stand
Shot ’til the bench no longer felt grand
Shot ”˜til my arms were tired and sore
Shot ”˜til the day was almost no more
Shot ”˜til the sun sank over the hill
Shot ”˜til I knew I’d finally reached my fill
Shot ”˜til my powder and lead balls were depleted
Shot ”˜til”¦”¦aw, hell, I’m just glad I’m seated.

Thank ya! Thank ya very much! I'll be here all week and don't forget to tip your waitress. :hatsoff: :haha:

While I do take more than one rifle for just the reasons that I stated, I remember what I once read. Well, I can't quote it verbatim but the essence of it was: Be afraid of the man who owns only one gun because he likely knows how to use it.

One and a half. My .54 cal Trade Rifle and the .50 cal. barrel. :rotf: :stir:

If I'm checking sights before season opening on guns that are already sighted in, I might take two. Other than that, one is more than enough for me. If I'm working up a new load or sighting in a new rifle, then that one gun gets all of my attention.

Back