• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn tacks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wanting to make a 18th century style horn, I am looking for suggestions for what to use for the base plug tacks. Thanks for the help

Are you set on using metal tacks of some sort? I have used round tooth picks. I've also heard of using the thorns from a thorny locust tree.

Wood would be the primary choice for pins. I've used toothpicks or slivers of hardwood.

I've roughed up some modern finish nails, also thorns from a locust tree, shishkabob sticks,tooth picks and brass dowl material. A lot of what I use to pin the base plug in ...is depending on the era or type of horn I'm making. One other thing, I don't epoxy my base plugs in.... But I do epoxy the pins that hold it in. Hope this helps...

I know a bunch of "horners" and they drill a hole and peg the plug in with something like a thorn, or a shish-kabob stick. When using metal, such as a brass tack or a tack made from brass wire, or even cut nails or hobnails or tacks..., one must be very careful not to stress the horn or the wood and cause a split. :shocked2: Just a little bit of the tip of whatever you're using should stick into the wood of the plug. If using something that leave a metal head above the surface of the horn, be aware that this might mar anything it rubs against, like a bag or the stock of a gun.

LD

I like the sandwich pegs (minus the little tassel) they are a bit larger diam. than toothpicks and are usually birch. Most of the shish-kabob sticks seem to be bamboo.

mrfishnhunt said:
I am wanting to make a 18th century style horn, I am looking for suggestions for what to use for the base plug tacks. Thanks for the help

Some years ago, I was building a horn and was looking for something with which to pin my base plug. At that same time, I was in Friendship and ran across one of the vendors in vendor's row who was selling "coon bone" tooth picks. I bought three of them, I think I paid something like $5 for the three of them. I cut them up and made 6 pins for the base plug from them. I know $5 is one hell of a price to pay for three toothpicks but after all, they were made of the penis bone from a coon and he had to spend time making each one. I'll bet the coon thought they were worth more. :haha:

For those of you living in the Southern part of the country Mesquite thorns make nice looking horn pegs. plus the wood makes a fine bar b que fire.
fox

I have three that use the thorns from a hawthorn tree.

psinlyem.jpg

These 2"+ jewels will go through a sneaker sole or garden tractor tire.

The correct answer depends upon the style of horn being made. For one example, Allen County horns would properly be secured by 3 small iron nails.

36989192223_8598845425_z.jpg
[/url]Adams County Base by RabbyTat, on Flickr[/img]

Many others are properly secured by thorns (I have a ready supply of Hawthorn and other thorns in the are.) or wooden spikes as described above. Take some time to coordinate your various style elements so that your horn projects are correct.

Good luck with your project.

CS

Stumpkiller said:
I have three that use the thorns from a hawthorn tree.

psinlyem.jpg

These 2"+ jewels will go through a sneaker sole or garden tractor tire.

Those will go through good rubber boots soles and nail your boot to your foot. Did that about a year ago. That Hawthorn tree had a date with Mr Stihl and me shortly thereafter...

CS

I am probably the only one in Ohio who uses grapefruit tree thorns. ( Just last night we moved the grapefruit tree into the sun porch since it was calling for a frost). :idunno: :idunno:

I always just use hardwood toothpicks. The best ones I've used were square - the edges would compress or come off when I drove them into a round hole, making for a perfect fit - but round work well too. I think I end up using a 5/64" drill bit, as a 1/16 is just a hair too small. The nice thing about toothpicks is that they come with tapered ends...

We don't have hawthorn down here but we do have mesquite and they do the same type of damage as you have said hawthorn will do. If you can get some try them they make a 2 color pin in your hole dark on the out side and lite on the inside. Almost looks like a small bullseye. Makes people ask how you did the dual colored pin.
Fox

Since you live in southeast Texas, I would suggest using large mesquite thorns. They are hard and very durable. Many people use Hawthorn thorns if they live where Hawthorn trees grow. I have also heard of people using large fish bones as pins. They just dry them well, polish them up and they make nice pins that resemble ivory. I have a horn that needs some pins and I am planning to use a few of the pins that I use to clean my brass shells. I don't know if you have seen what I am talking about but they make small stainless pins that you add to your tumbler along with some water and detergent and tumble your brass in it to clean the brass. I have never used the pins to pin a butt plug into a horn but I don't see why they won't work. I'm going to try them anyway. I think they will look just like silver pins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back