• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I was given a couple of cow horns and am trying my hand at making a powder horn. The nicer of the two was attacked by some bugs that had quite a nice dinner on it. They did not make holes, but they did get mighty thin in spots. How can I repair the spots? Epoxy and shavings?

Pork Chop said:
I was given a couple of cow horns and am trying my hand at making a powder horn. The nicer of the two was attacked by some bugs that had quite a nice dinner on it. They did not make holes, but they did get mighty thin in spots. How can I repair the spots? Epoxy and shavings?

You could also inlay a piece of horn or use a lead plug. And both would be PC/HC.

Cutler's resin- pine pitch mixed with some beeswax and ground charcoal or even horn for filler, would work great and be HC

Just clear epoxy sanded no lower than 600 grit, or 0000 steel wool will be almost invisable as a repair. I have repaired bug holes in horn knife grips that way, and no one could find the repairs. However, if you were to buff it, you might see the difference. Sometimes modern is better. JMHO.

I don't see me inlaying a patch and I can't envision the lead plug. I think I will try the epoxy thing.

Epoxy will do it...I even got lucky swirling some color into clear epoxy to mimic tortice shell on a clasp knife handle restoration once, I was amazed at how undetectable the results were...
TCA

If the horn is dark id use some JB Weld. That stuff dries black and when sanded turns greyish. I've used it on a horn to repair a crack. It pretty much looked like a greyish streak in the black tip of the horn. I haven't had anyone notice it and the horn has been handled quite a bit.
Highlander

I've had good luck with "Mighty Putty". It starts out white and can be stained/darkened with any alcohol based stain.

As a Horner, I'm probably going to catch hell from some, but the amount of work involved making a nice powder horn, why mess around trying to fill bad bug damage? .... You might end up with a horn that is usable, but also repaired, and looks like a repaired horn! I think that I would just make something else i.e. salt horn, rum horn, strike-a-light horn etc. out of the horn and buy or find me a better horn to start working on for that powder horn!...sometimes we all have to count a loss now and then!.....no offense!

Rick :surrender:

Pork Chop said:
I don't see me inlaying a patch and I can't envision the lead plug. I think I will try the epoxy thing.

For the patch, think dovetail. For the plug, drill through the horn, insert a piece of lead and peen over the ends inside and out.

Thanks. The damage is not through, just thin. I will work at it a bit and see what I can come up with.

Well, what about repairing longitudinal cracks? I'm only interested in historically documented repairs. I know about rawhide. Don't know how to use lead and keep it in place. Cutler's resin sounds interesting.

Back