• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn needs repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadeP

32 Cal
Reaction score
I visited my mom the other day and she gave me this old horn that I carried on many adventures when I was a youngster. Neither of us remembered where it came from though it has to be at least 50 years old. No sign of ever having a plug so I guess it was some kind of signal horn. I'd like to make it into a powder horn but it has several through and through bug holes and the spout has some chips. What should I use to seal and repair? Epoxy or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5731.jpg
    IMG_5731.jpg
    968.9 KB · Views: 0
Man that’s a tough one, if you have any horn shavings you might mix that up with epoxy and try and fill the holes, if the holes are large enough you can cut pieces out of another horn and file them to fit your holes and epoxy those in. I know this has sentimental value to you, but it’s going to be a lot of work to make it a usable powder horn.

Worm holes. Very common. Either live with them or do as I do, just plug with softened beeswax and leave alone. Horns stored in drawers, boxes, etc. will get those invariably. Left hanging in open usually never.

If you must try and save it and plan on using it as a powder horn, and I assume you do not have access to horn glue, use epoxy and then sand smooth. You will always be able to see where the holes were but it will work.

Bug holes in horns are an easy fix since this old signal horn has no plug. Put masking tape on the inside of the horn where the hols are. Apply off color epoxie on the outside. Remove tape , dress up the hardened epoxie , done. Remember , damage to original horns back in the day , was done by applying a cake of bees wax to the imperfection and it is water proof again. Just rub the cake over the crack , and done.

I visited my mom the other day and she gave me this old horn that I carried on many adventures when I was a youngster. Neither of us remembered where it came from though it has to be at least 50 years old. No sign of ever having a plug so I guess it was some kind of signal horn. I'd like to make it into a powder horn but it has several through and through bug holes and the spout has some chips. What should I use to seal and repair? Epoxy or something else?
As others have suggested, maybe patch it up with beeswax, then give it the retirement it’s earned. I wouldn’t take an old horn like that and make it something it never was, but it is your horn. New powder horns are not that expensive.

As others have suggested, it is not a difficult repair. Fine (powdered) horn and clear epoxy with the appropriate tint would do the trick. Think plastic repair! Lots of ways to do the repair if you choose to. It's your horn!

I ask what are you going to do with the Horn? It maybe the wisest idea to leave it as it is and use it to talk about. Think it over before you make a decision.

I have one like that, from my families pioneering days in Arkansas. I wish I had learned how to blow it.
I didn't know how they were used until I read a book of South Carolina sportsman's reminisces from the 1800s. They were basically used by hunters like walkie-talkies are now. They were deer hunting on large plantations, running deer with dogs and shooting shotguns with buckshot. There was apparently a system of signals to convey messages like a long toot for "everybody ready, let the dogs loose," or three toots for "I got a buck".
Other hunters would have planned out who was on which stand, and would know who had **** just by the direction the toot came from.
All very traditional, and actually ages old technique that we seldom think of today.

Back