• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

History Channel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Riegl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
:grin: Caught the last half of the History Channel story about the Wheelock as an invention of Leonardo Da Vinci. They did show an amazing ~400 year old wheelock pistol in excellent condition---that was typically ornamented for arather wealthy client---it looked to have a barrel well into 14"+. They actually loaded and fired this for the first time in ~400 years---and Teleoceras and all you wheelock owners---it seemed to go off without a hitch. I watch the channel as a steady diet of History is just my main course---Being a Chemist by profession, I tend more recently to watch for the boo-boos that crop up more and more in recent years. In their discourse they described the gun and showed close-ups---when it came to the dog---they presented the sparking item as a "flint" which was locked to the wheel after priming the pan. I hear you wheelockers talking ( cursing at times :cursing: )about using Iron Pyrites for developing the spark. I figured that if you guys are going nuts :youcrazy: trying to find pyrites that last after one or two shots---did they (sic) use flints or pyrites in them there days :confused: ?. I remember seeing all sorts of guns including wheelocks in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City as child and through the many years I visited the city. I haven't been into NYC for many years (45 minute ride by train)and feel the urge to go to that Museum of Art again---just to see what if anything is left of those exhibits. So did they use flints or is it just another goof by the producers of that show??? :thumbsup:

As much as I admire Leonardo, I still am not convinced he's responsible for the wheel lock. We can all argue in circles until new evidence is discovered, but I'm always annoyed when people come out and say he's the inventor without presenting any of the evidence in contra :cursing:

I believe the technical term is "dumbing down" :winking:

and definitely pyrites...

Pasquenel:

:grin: Caught the last half of the History Channel story about the Wheelock as an invention of Leonardo Da Vinci....... So did they use flints or is it just another goof by the producers of that show??? :thumbsup:

That show had so many goofs that I was apolectic!

1. They showed an Indian Matchlock. When it didn't go off, they reprimed the pan while the burning slowmatch was still in the serpentine about an inch away! :shocked2: :shake: :nono: I was expecting the flask to explode and two new candidates for the Darwin Award be exposed.

2. Using a flint (and it did look like a flint) means that the wheel itself was ground down to provide the spark. Doing that to an antique is criminal IMO. :nono:

3. The animation made it look like when the trigger is pulled and as the wheel turned, the dog would come down automatically on the wheel like a Flintlock cock would do on a frizzen. :confused:

4. They kept calling the slowmatch a wick! Maybe it is just me, but use the blasted proper term! It is Slowmatch, not a burning wick!

I'm going to stop now before I really get :yakyak:.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

The gentleman firing the matchlock is
Greg Martin. He should know better. As I write, the show is on T.V. I cringe when they pull that idiotic trick with the flask and the matchcord. Just because they didn't die doesn't mean they passed the Darwin Test...

It was definitely flint. You'd think the History Channel would get it right, but some of the most egregious errors show up there.

I was wondering how long it would take before this would appear on the forum...I spotted those
bo bo's too and commented on that same "collector"
doing demonstrations...If he has as much brains as
he has money the show might have be error free.
Good to see you back on the forum....

Teleoceras said:
Pasquenel:

:grin: Caught the last half of the History Channel story about the Wheelock as an invention of Leonardo Da Vinci....... So did they use flints or is it just another goof by the producers of that show??? :thumbsup:

That show had so many goofs that I was apolectic!

1. They showed an Indian Matchlock. When it didn't go off, they reprimed the pan while the burning slowmatch was still in the serpentine about an inch away! :shocked2: :shake: :nono: I was expecting the flask to explode and two new candidates for the Darwin Award be exposed.

2. Using a flint (and it did look like a flint) means that the wheel itself was ground down to provide the spark. Doing that to an antique is criminal IMO. :nono:

3. The animation made it look like when the trigger is pulled and as the wheel turned, the dog would come down automatically on the wheel like a Flintlock cock would do on a frizzen. :confused:

4. They kept calling the slowmatch a wick! Maybe it is just me, but use the blasted proper term! It is Slowmatch, not a burning wick!

I'm going to stop now before I really get :yakyak:.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Agree 100%. Using a flint in an antique wheellock is an abomination and a criminal action. And Greg Martin knows better, too. :cursing:

Cheers,

Gordon

if this was the same program that i watched on tv the other day, than i have to agree on the goofs of the program. main one i saw, was the idiot was loading the wheel lock with the powder horn at the muzzle, i beleve it was the second shot too. ah yes the TV experts... when will they learn

They continue to use Martin as their expert, and he continues to portray incorrect information and extremely poor safety. He is the same joker that I was mentioning in the Safety issue that got moved to non-muzzleloader forum, and he was also called on the carpet on a previous thread about flintlocks when he was shooting at a "barn" target and couldnt hit it at 30 yards.

Considering the bad information that he portrays on the History Channel, I sure wouldnt feel confident having him appraise or auction any of my fine arms.

We can all moan about it, but I suggest everyone who saw it put it in writing to The History Channel. If the guy is behaving unsafely, then they should be called out on it.

I sure wouldnt feel confident having him appraise or auction any of my fine arms.

On the other hand, if you are a potential buyer, his auctions are fun to watch :winking:

Back