• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German 54-Caliber Buchsflinte (A Dbl-Barreled Cape Gun)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A Double-Barrel (Smoothbore & Rifled) Side-by-Side Percussion Sporting Arm

FYI, I bought this for a song from a local/modern 'toy' shop that has ZERO idea about anything of the real powdah that be black. I had a collector friend in Germany take a look at all of the extensive photos I had sent them and this is their assessment. I was going to sell it - but it is just too cool - and possibly worth some $$$ - so I'm going to hold on it.

It is very trim/svelte and weighs 6-pounds, measuring 45" overall with 29" barrels to the back of the breech, so more like 28" barrels for either bore.

"That is obviously a very nice sporting arm! As a general rule German and Austrian barrel-makers placed the rifle barrel on the right, but Belgian and English makers mostly placed their rifle barrels on the left side. With the right barrel being rifled and with the front trigger being pushed forward to set it, then I’d say this one is German for sure!

The other barrel numbers are in mm rather than gauge, and as such then 13.4 mm is .528" and 14mm is .551".

The German proof law of 1891 was implemented in early 1893. That double-barrel arm was made well before then. Note that a significant number of Belgian barrels were used to build German guns and therefore carry Belgian proof marks, e.g., ‘ELG’ with a star. The E over LG is also shown as a Belgian mark, as the sole mark from 1810 until 1853; from then until 1893 it showed the definitive proof, and after that it was used only on muzzle loaders.

I believe the "M" or "W" and "GJ " are workmen's touch marks, to insure both payment and assessment of liability for work they did. There is no legend or chart to show whom they represent."

54-Cape01.jpg
54-Cape02.jpg
54-Cape03.jpg
54-Cape04.jpg
54-Cape05.jpg
54-Cape06.jpg
54-Cape07.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to shoot it?
I'm really not a 'cap gun' guy ever since I turned 12, LOL ...

And I was considering selling it ... but it is just sooooo cool that now I must keep it and shoot it! She would be fun to take to a woodswalk where they have separate rifle and smoothbore classes and just shoot the one!

The French produced some beautiful workmanship & unique locks !
Notice shape of the mainspring on the lock on this French dueling pistol.
Relic shooter

Attachments

• Pictures from Iphone 865.jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 865.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful! I have two doubles, both percussion, both from 1850. One is British, the other French - and very much like yours. That one is a "stalking gun", the right barrel being rifled (~.36), the other smooth (~20 bore).
Both are very well made, fully engraved.
Thanks for showing yours.

Soon as I get a camera! Old fogie here!
The wood, especially on the French one, is beautiful, and feels so fine to the hand.
RH (rifled barrel) won't hold cock, so will send it to a friend to have the full-cock sear stoned. It does have a fly, and the interior steel is so polished that it looks like stainless!
Will get pics of both ASAP. Camera on order.

That's a beautiful weapon. It appears to be in excellent condition.

If I were you, I wouldn't even consider selling, if I could avoid it.
In any case, I think $1200 would be a bargain. I've seen similar combinations (German/Austrian) at a collector's show priced far higher than that

Back