• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Buying a Traditional Percussion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul54

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wanting to purchase a traditional percussion rifle in either .50 or .54 cal. that will shoot conicals and round balls.

I know nothing about these guns. I'm a bonafide rookie and new to this site. Have been looking at many brands online. :confused:

They just sound like a real neat gun to shoot and hunt with. Going to a rendezvous sounds like loads of fun too. I am a big fan of the movie Jeremiah Johnson and anything related to the Mountain Man era.

I am left handed and willing to spend up to about $800. Is it necessary to buy a left hand gun or could I shoot a right handed one?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

Are you interested in having a historically accurate reproduction or just a traditionally styled gun. If it is the former then it gets a lot tougher, if the latter then there are a lot of good guns on the market at reasonable prices. The TC renegade is probably the chevy 350, lots of parts and lots of things to do to customize it. There are also tons of imports, the lyman rifles are very popular. Keep in mind a rifle that does a good job shooting both round balls and conicals will shoot neither as well as a purpose built barrel. Chris

It's probably not absolutely necessary to have a left handed gun, but I would imagine it would be much more comfortable for you in the long run. As to which gun, there's so many options that it can get confusing. Is it possible for you to maybe go to some shops, a range, or maybe even a rondevous in order to handle a few guns? I am just asking because different styles of guns will fit different people differently and can easily make the difference between comfortable shooting and being miserable. For example, Lyman Great Plains Rifles and TC Hawkens both fit into your price range and are both production guns that are considered by most here to be among the best short of going for a semi-custom or custom built rifle. They are both very accurate, but feel very different when you're handling them. Then again, if the limit is $800, you are almost at the lower end of a custom rifle, so it may be worthwhile to save abit more and get somethingbuilt specifically for you and to your tastes.

Either way, handle a few guns, look at a few photos, and do some research to help you narrow down the options out there so you get what you really want and will be happy with. Some guns just wont feel right, and designs changed over time, so you have some research ahead of you if you have not already done it. And dont expect this to be your last ML...

While having a left handed percusion lock isn't as critical as a flint lock would be, you will definately find them easier to use. T.C. and the GPR are both available in left handed versions. :hmm:

I'm thinking any of the TC would be you're best choice. They have the 1 in 48 twist, which will shoot both balls and conicals, plus, they can be had in left hand models. I have a Lyman and love it, but their twist rates are more dedicated to one or the other.

paul54 said:
I am wanting to purchase a traditional percussion rifle in either .50 or .54 cal. that will shoot conicals and round balls.

I know nothing about these guns. I'm a bonafide rookie and new to this site. Have been looking at many brands online. :confused:

They just sound like a real neat gun to shoot and hunt with. Going to a rendezvous sounds like loads of fun too. I am a big fan of the movie Jeremiah Johnson and anything related to the Mountain Man era.

I am left handed and willing to spend up to about $800. Is it necessary to buy a left hand gun or could I shoot a right handed one?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

Welcome to the forum, Paul. As mentioned, the Thompson Center (T/C), is a good choice for shooting either a round ball or conical. However, if it were me, I would go with a Lyman because they are a little closer to being PC.

What distances are you going to be shooting? What will you be hunting? Don't under estimate the round ball for killing power. You will find conicals are going to have more recoil than RB's. They are messy (speaking for self) to lube too.

A good dual purpose twist is 1:48. Any tighter and you will have to shoot conicals. Slow twists are for round balls only (e.g. 1:60).

A really good caliber is the .54 if you are hunting deer. Opinions will vary.

I agree with no less than a .54. I assume that in Texas you will be hunting deer in open country which means longer shots than out East. The .54 will carry more energy down-range.

Welcome to the sport Paul. I am left handed as well but with percussion guns it's not a big deal shooting right handed guns, in fact I find my right handed .54 Lyman Trade rifle more comfortable to shoot for extended periods than my left handed T/C 50 cal. Try to find some muzzle loader clubs in your area and attend one of their monthly matches, and ask to shoulder various types of rifles so you can get a better idea of what fits you. Do the same at your local gunshop if they carry traditional ML's. A good choice to start with is the Lyman Great Plains rifle,and I suggest the .54 as it makes a great deer and hog killer, with enough power to take elk if you go that route in the future. I am not knocking the .50 however, it too is an excellent deer and hog getter, just on the minimum side for larger game. The Great Plains rifle barrel has a 1:60 rate of twist, great for shooting round ball, and if you decide that you need to shoot conicals you can buy the Great Plains Hunter barrel which drops right in to your stock and has a 1:32 ROT, nice and fast for lead conicals. Another advantage in going with that model is that you don't have to get the same caliber for both barrels. Now, I don't know if the David Pedersoli rifles come in left hand but they are good looking, usually accurate ML's if you want to spend a bit more money. Also look at the Cabelas Blue Ridge series. Keep in mind that bringing a plains or Hawken type rifle to a rondy on the east coast would be a little out of place, so you might want to think about the time period or part of the country that you wish to portray. There's the traditional Kentucky long rifle, Pennsylvania, Lancaster (early and late styles), etc. There's where you get into the semi-custom rifles and the upper end of your budget, but also keep in mind that you're going to need accessories/accountrements for your rifle and persona. Perhaps you'd like to start with an entry level rifle like the Lyman Trade rifle, which can be purchased new for around $350, then use the rest of your budget for gear? The TR has a 1:48 ROT and does well with both patched round ball as well as lead concicals.

I would go the left handed T/C Renagade in .54 cal.! I have a r/handed Renegade and love it... I have never had a Lyman so I can't really comment, but a lot of guys love them and if you like the Hawken style I don't think you would be sorry w/either choice. I would buy a Lyman in a heartbeat if I thought I could get away with it. I'm starting to get funny looks from the CEO :grin: . You could use a right handed rifle ok (lots of guys do)but I think you would be more comfortable with a left handed model.

I would really recommend you look at the TVM Leman rifle. It costs a little more than you wanted, but it is a really correct fur trade era rifle. The six or seven months wait for the rifle may deter you and I don't know how it will be for conicals, but it will be a rifle you can have made for you that you will be happy with for a lifetime. I have a Green River Rifle Works Leman in 50 cal. and it is great for our Texas white tail and mule deer. I have never felt the need to shoot conicals, as round balls are effective for me.

I appreciate everyone's input, help and advice. This sure seems to be a friendly forum with tons of knowledge.

I look forward to learn lots and contributing.

Paul

Paul54, I to am a lefty and I have no problem with my .50 perc. righty. I have never shot a left lock M Loader so can't say if they are better.However in the early 1980s I bought a left handed bolt action center fire but sold it a couple a years later as I could not get used to it' After 20 years of shooting a right handed bolt it just didn't feel right.
So I would say if you want a lefty someday you might as well start out that way if you can. Bent

Even though you said you'd be willing to spend $800 a gun that is well within that range is the lyman great plains rifle like others have said. TONS of members here have them and they are good rifles. My dad has one and it shoots good and looks great. Another good thing since you are a beginner is that the great plains rifle is a halfstock with a hooked breech which means it is easy to disassemble and clean.

All you Lyman promoters are right, they are a good gun, but you're forgetting that he said he wants to be able to shoot both balls and conicals. This is where the TC guns would be better, or as was mentioned, the Lyman Trade Rifle I think it was, that has the 1 in 48 twist.

I think you can get the Lyman with a fast twist barrel...and left handed. Look at the TOW site.

A lefty Lyman Trade Rifle with a "48" twist is available in both .50 & .54 cal. for less than HALF of the $800.00 price tag NEW! The other $400.00 will buy every top-quality accessory that you'll ever need for the rifle, from a possibles bag to a range rod!

I'm a righty and I purchased my .50 Trade Rifle for $295.00 off the shelf several years ago. Adjusted the primitive rear sight with a block of pine & a hammer to the point that the rifle can cut playing cards in half sideways at 20+ yards if I do my part! And that's with .490 balls OR 370 grain T/C Maxi-Balls.

R.M. is right, you should be looking at the Lyman Trade Rifle! And Louie is right, it's a half-stock and therefore easy to dis-assemble for cleaning too!

Welcome to the Dark Side! Enjoy the ride!

Dave

Well I agree if you want to shot both types of
bullets thw T/C a great chioce.You may want to
look in the pawn shops for a used one.

There is a ton of them out there for very good
prices.The new inlines have made the market
open up for used traditioal factory guns.

Never has & never will hurt our custom made
front loaders thow. :v
Fly

Back