• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help: ball, patch and powder stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect a leather strap might have been wrapped around the rod for a grip and that used on a tree, or whatever, to pull. OTOH, there have been reports that many early rifles had readily removable breech plugs and that might have been the method of salvation.

What did the MM do when they were on the prairie?? You know I am just a simply portagee who grew up on a dairy, but pulling a ball is easier than falling off a log. I pulled it or put a few grains of powder in vent or nipple and shoot it out. Very simply.

Track of the Wolf sells a taper-threaded puller with a collar and deep threads. Because I could care less about historical correctness, I use it and a steel rod to pull balls. Because it is tapered, if it pulls out, you can screw it in a little deeper and try again. No matter how well made, wood rods are just to chancy for me to use for pulling balls. I have a forked tree on my range that works for wedging the handle to pull against. My first choice is to shoot the ball out, but sometimes because I only shoot flintlocks the ball blocks the hole, and you can't get enough powder in to move the ball. Poplocks have drums and patent breeches with more room for powder behind the ball. I have also read that bicycle shops sell CO2 tire inflators that work like the CO2 ball movers for less money.

Wasn't sure which forum to post this on.

After hunting with my 50 Hawken Woodsman, I normally go home and just unload by firing into a backstop.

Today I got rained on quite a bit, and when I got home I tried 4x with caps but could not get it to fire. (maybe my powder got wet?)

Haven't tried the ball puller which I have because everyone tells me its near impossible. Others recommend CO2 discharger but I don't know here to get the right one.

Its leaning up against my wall driving me crazy. :confused:

I would think Dixie Gun Works or Track Of The Wolf would have the CO2 discharges. Nevertheless, caliber specific ball pullers that have the Brass collar will keep the screw centered in the bore. This will allow you to screw directly into the center of the projectile securely. A little cleaning solution in the bore first will act as a lube and help the process.

At the Rondy in Evanston Wyoming, A rifle failed to fire. The range master told the person to lay his rifle down on the firing line facing the targets. About three minutes later the rifle fired. I thought to myself, "What if they were trying to pull the ball"? Next day, I bought my CO2 discharger. If you are going to pull a ball, pull the nipple and fill the rear of the bore with liquid!!!

3 Minutes is the longest I ever heard! But IT CAN HAPPEN. I was told many times to do that and never have. I just may buy some more C02 cartridges so's I dont have to!

Track of the Wolf sells a taper-threaded puller with a collar and deep threads. Because I could care less about historical correctness, I use it and a steel rod to pull balls. Because it is tapered, if it pulls out, you can screw it in a little deeper and try again. No matter how well made, wood rods are just to chancy for me to use for pulling balls. I have a forked tree on my range that works for wedging the handle to pull against. My first choice is to shoot the ball out, but sometimes because I only shoot flintlocks the ball blocks the hole, and you can't get enough powder in to move the ball. Poplocks have drums and patent breeches with more room for powder behind the ball. I have also read that bicycle shops sell CO2 tire inflators that work like the CO2 ball movers for less money.

Yes, the steel “range” rod is indispensable when it comes to pulling a ball. Track Of The Wolf sells really nice ones in 8/32 or 10/32 thread.

A misfire is different from a dry ball. You can usually feel the ball with a pick on a dryball and feel the powder on a misfire/pan flash. Even a 3/8" wooden rod doesn't have much wood around the pin.

I built myself a bullet puller from a shotgun cleaning rod. I had to add another section to the rod anyway to get to the bottom of my Long Land Bess, so I made an additional section with a slide hammer feature. There is a solid brass end stop screwed to the end of the rod and a heavy brass sleeve that the rod goes through. At the other end, I have turned up a series of tips to fit .75, .577 and .45 bores with a central hole to take one of these modern hardened steel wood screws with the head ground off. The screw is held with a transverse grub screw..

It is easy to use.. using a tommy bar through a hole in the end stop of the rod it is easy to screw the woodscrew into the ball. You then use the brass slide hammer to thump the ball out of the barrel.. never failed yet!

Wasn't sure which forum to post this on.

After hunting with my 50 Hawken Woodsman, I normally go home and just unload by firing into a backstop.

Today I got rained on quite a bit, and when I got home I tried 4x with caps but could not get it to fire. (maybe my powder got wet?)

Haven't tried the ball puller which I have because everyone tells me its near impossible. Others recommend CO2 discharger but I don't know here to get the right one.

Its leaning up against my wall driving me crazy. :confused:
A good ball puller will work just fine if you take your time to make sure the screw is well set, & you pull steadily, not jerk. I always carry a leather tie in my shot pouch for tieing to the ramrod, the other end of this leather tie is tied to a sapling tree. I pull on the gun.
If this does not work for some reason, take out the nipple & dribble a little gunpowder in. Replace the nipple, add cap & fire. If the load does not come out, make sure the load is re seated firmly, & repeat the process.
If neither of these methods work, remove the breach plug & drive the load out.
shot-pouch-contents-004-REDUCED-CROPPED.jpg
Turn-screw-screw-REDUCED.jpg

Keith.

3 Minutes is the longest I ever heard! But IT CAN HAPPEN. I was told many times to do that and never have. I just may buy some more C02 cartridges so's I dont have to!

Yes, three minutes is a long time for that sort of delayed fire. But it can happen. I have witnessed it once. Once was enough to make me a (safer) believer.

co2 does not always work, try to pull , or use powder under the nipple as has been said. Powder has always work for me. Pulling the plug on a Woodsmen may not be easy.

co2 does not always work, try to pull , or use powder under the nipple as has been said. Powder has always work for me. Pulling the plug on a Woodsmen may not be easy.
Powder under the nipple is so easy and works so well that I've never felt a need to try another method.

Latest posts

Back