• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heavy patch/small ball in a new "old" Getz .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend built me a rifle this winter with an interesting barrel. It's about a 25 to 30 year old Getz barrel that a man had for years and years but never built a gun with it. My friend acquired it last fall and we put it in a "Lancaster"-style precarve with a Jim Chambers Large Siler lock. I am not sure how "HC" it is, but I know it's a "Pennsylvania Long Rifle" 'cause it's long and was built and lives in PA. :rotf:
IMGP0734.jpg

IMGP0735.jpg

The barrel's serial number is 1114--recent Getz barrels are now above 27,000. It's a 42" swamped .50 in what's close to today's "B" profile, I think, and is twisted 1:66.
001.jpg

I have had the rifle out to the range about a half dozen times and was not getting the best results. I started with what has worked for me in the past with .50's--.495 balls & .020 cotton or .018 ticking patches, but accuracy was spotty and patches were torn and ragged looking. I thought it might "settle down" after a while, but it did not really improve, even after 100 shots.

At a friend's suggestion I tried some heavy .023 cotton duck and a .480 Hornady ball and it worked. The patches look good, it groups well with 60 to 80 grains of Goex 3F and it is easy loading. I always thought tighter was better, bet I guess not every time :idunno: :surrender:

Today I went out and tried .480 and .490 balls alternating shots, shooting 5 shots each at two side by side targets at 50 yards. No swabbing in between--just load and shoot with my forward hand holding the forend and rested on a bag and no bag under the buttstock. The .490's were shots 1-3-5-7-9 and the .480's were shots 2-4-6-8-10. The one shot out of the group on the left was #4 :( I guess it likes the .480s :hatsoff: But I would not have figured on that beforehand :confused: BTW--patches were lubed with moose juice and cut at the muzzle.
IMGP0742.jpg

I am going to have to try the heavy patch/smaller ball load in a .54 that's being finicky :hmm:

Anybody else regularly shoot heavy patches and round balls that are a caliber or two undersize?

Thanks for putting up with my long post... :yakyak: :yakyak:

Interesting post; thanks for the info. I use a thick patch and small ball combo in my trade gun / fowler and it works really well. My .45 has been fed the traditional .440 ball with .015 to .018 patch and works pretty well, but I got ahold of a .433 round ball mould and have been thinking about trying that out with a thicker patch.

After reading your post I'll have to run a few and try it out. :thumbsup:

I have a Getz barrel that old or older. .490 ball,.018 ticking 70g. 2f. Try the.018 with the .490 ball.

I have tried .490's and .495's with all kinds of different patch thicknesses and materials--the rifle does not like 'em with 3F.

What I have not tried is 2F--that's definitely on my to do list. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

I've been shooting .490 balls and about .023 patches in my Getz barreled rifle. They shoot pretty well but are hard to load. Am going to try a .485 dia., so I'm encouraged to read of your good results with the smaller diameter ball.

Yeah, you have to keep experimenting to find out what your paticular barrel likes. Thats just what works in my barrel. They are all a little different.

And, you have a NEW old barrel. Might it change on you? Maybe no maybe so. Me I don't know Getz from sick'em.

I don't see anything unusual. Given a nominal .500 bore and .012 grooves, ball and patch combination near .524 would be expected.

.480 +.023 + .023 = .526

.495 + .018 + .018 = .531

AS .526 comob works, use the .495 ball w/ thinner patch as in.

.526 - .495 = .031 / 2 = .0155

So would expect similar results with the .495 using .015 to .016 patches. Still considered a tight combination. Too tight can result in deforming the ball in loading.

By the way, GREAT looking rifle.
TC

I see what you are getting at 40Flint and thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Back