• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heading more towards primitive

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hofmada15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello i am 16 and last year harvested my first flintlock deer and now im hooked. Im trying to get more primitive and start hunting with a powder horn and a leather bag i think its awesome to use that type of equipment not trying to spend to much money but i understand quality stuff isnt cheap 150/175 for the satchel and horn i love the ones with revolutionary war theme engraving but like i mentioned not trying to spend much more than my 150/175 budget since im deer hunting id like the horn to hold at least 6 loads (70 grains 2f) i guess what im asking is what good hunting bags/horns are out there and who should i buy from i think i want the horn to have the brass attachment and what else should i look for? also what are powder flasks for? i no theres a similar thread but i didnt want to steal it
thanks for your input
adam

Make your own gear and that saves you allot. Fun doing so too and you will feel allot better afterward knowing you did it yourself. They have kits if that's the way you want to go.

It's also great knowing someone young can get into this.

knowing where you are located might help. there may be someone close by that could help you out. definately make your own. alot of satisfaction in making your own stuff.

Horns can be a bit of a job. All the rest there are plenty of how to books and you will enjoy it. I'm 56 started when I was 16 it was the revolutionary war bicentenial.Your in for a great ride.

Hi young fellow. If you live close to me you won't have to buy anything. I'll help you make everything and furnish the supplies. I am hoping you become the best BP hunter ever. :v PS: My Grandson (18 yr old) collected his 15th whitetail with 15 shots yesterday with BP. I taught him well.

That is a generous offer for sure. It does sound like your grandson is firmly on the right track!

Geo. T.

I live in just outside of pittsburgh pa haven't given much thought to making a horn I don't have much in the way of tools for something like that I appreciate all your replys
Adam

It is rare that a person jumps into the ml primitive game and is equiped completely from the start. An outfit is built and improved with time. Start with what you can afford. An inexpensive horn might not be your first choice but it is a start. Same with the shooting bag. As you attend events you will have an opportunity to learn and to trade with others. You will probably even win some goods in shooting events. Check the classifieds here and at Frontier Folk and the ads in Muzzle Blasts. Good luck.

Make your own gear and that saves you allot. Fun doing so too and you will feel allot better afterward knowing you did it yourself. They have kits if that's the way you want to go.

Seriously Correct!

It's a lot cheaper AND you can design your bag to suit how you follow your loading routine, plus any additional stuff. I carry my fire starting kit, a compass, a casting ladle and mold, plus a sharpening stone in mine... you might not want as much junk as I do. I laid out my stuff and then figured out how to put a bag together to carry it.

As for horns, well I know a very good apprentice horn maker who is studying under masters with The Honorable Company of Horners. His father is an accomplished bag maker, AND they regularly travel to Weirton, WVA where they have family. That's pretty close to Pittsburgh. So PM me your contact information and I will forward it to them. A basic, plain horn might not be too costly, especially from an apprentice.

LD

You relly should try to make your own shooting bag. It is not really too hard and you don't need many tools. You can find patterns and instructions by using Google. If you don't have a local leather shop like Tandy, you can find them on the net. Don't worry too much about making it look perfect, if you look at some of the originals, they range from art works to pretty crude. Our forefathers used what was avaible and had to make a lot of what they used. Making your own kit is just another part of this great hobby, good luck.

Maybe check out ebay, etc for a used powder horn. To start with you could make a canvas bag for a few bucks. Use upholstery webbing doubled over for the strap. A cloth bag comforms to your shape and you can live with it a while and then decide how large or small a leather bag you'll need.
Pillow ticking would be a good cloth for making a bag. If you want a leather strap- keep a look out in Goodwill shops, you can often get an all leather belt for 25 cents.

+1 on the goodwill stores. Sometimes you can luck into a ladies shoulder bag that is very similar to a shooting bag. There was a time that such folksy bags were in fashion. My philosophy is to make what I can, scrounge when I can and buy only when I must. :)

If you don't have the time or inclination right now to make your own stuff, I agree with Rifleman that the affordable stuff available for sale is a fine way to start. You can move up to more expensive things later, or start making your own, when you've figured out what you prefer.

Some links to browse through:

Bags

More bags

Horns

More horns

Another question i have is what is an effective size of a hunting bag i like this one it should be big enough to hold a days worth of hunting gear right? what are your opinions on this one? has anyone dealt with this website before?
crazy crow bag

Hof52 said:
I live in just outside of pittsburgh pa haven't given much thought to making a horn I don't have much in the way of tools for something like that I appreciate all your replys
Adam
Adam,
The nice thing about bags and horns is that it doesn't take much in the way of tools. All you really need to make a horn is a pocket-knife and a drill, while a needle, thread and scissors are all you need for a bag.

PM me and I will help however I can.

Black Hand said:
Adam,
The nice thing about bags and horns is that it doesn't take much in the way of tools.

Agreed.

Another route to consider is start slow and work up. You can make loading blocks, leather cappers, knifes from kits, horns from kits and lots more with minimal tools, while still turning out stuff you'll use a lot. Heck, the more "rustic" it looks, the more most of us like it. And you can do "rustic" the first time you try something. We all did. :wink:

I might save making a bag until you know more or less exactly what you want, but heck. Making a cloth one out of an old pair of blue jeans will give you a bag to use for now while helping you formulate ideas about what you want later when you make a leather one.

The big thing is to have fun at it while working into it slowly. I'm now using hunting tack that's all homemade, but it took a while to get to that point. And I sure had fun along the way.

Wow sidelock, that is very kind and an incredible statistic! You sure did teach your grandson well.

Hof52 said:
what are your opinions on this one? has anyone dealt with this website before?
crazy crow bag
Crazy Crow is alright, I've ordered from them several times. They will share your mailing address with a few specific fund solicitation places,, you'll get free mailing labels from the solicitors,, and you can ignore them.

That bag is actually pretty big !
Trouble with a big bag is you put a lot of stuff in it,, it get's heavy and when your looking for one specific item it will always be on the bottom !
:wink:

Once you figure out what you want, watch the classifieds here. If a maker is not making what you want, pm them to see if they are willing to make you something. I prefer to support other members over a bigger company like Crazy Crow.

Back