• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossback

Big Bores Matter
Reaction score
I don't know if there was such a thing, but is it a worthwhile to make an octagon smooth bore barrel? Or is it a moot point because you could load your regular muzzleloader with some lead shot?

is it a t/c hawken ? if so i have a n.i.b . 12 gauge , full choke barrel for it if interested. its for a 15/16 .45 or 50 cal. gun. not .54 [pm if interested]
Yeah, a TC 28" Hawken. But I'm thinking about building a new one, as a 1-2 punch. So basically what you are saying is that it would need a 15/16 .50cal tang? What's the length?

Mossback, do you want to see what a rifled muzzleloader can do with shot? A member here called Black Powder Maniac does youtube videos and did one called “Shooting Shot from Rifled Muzzleloaders”. One of the members posted it on the forum but I cannot find it. Good luck.
😆😆😆 I can imagine from how you say that.

Full octagon barrels were made smooth a lot in the old days. Smooth rifles or rifle mounted fusils were what they were called. Rifles in every way but the bore.
Shot doesn’t work well in a rifle.
Thanks for the info.

My smooth rifle, Lancaster not Hawkins but 28 bore
IMG_3174.jpeg

I don't know if there was such a thing, but is it a worthwhile to make an octagon smooth bore barrel? Or is it a moot point because you could load your regular muzzleloader with some lead shot?
Yes, the Hawken Brothers and the subsequent builders did make Hawken branded shotguns. However, these were not smoothbored versions of the plains rifles. These were purpose built shotguns and they looked like shotguns with shotgun architecture. John Gemmer built a lot of side by side shotguns in addition to his plains rifles.

Yes, the Hawken Brothers and the subsequent builders did make Hawken branded shotguns. However, these were not smoothbored versions of the plains rifles. These were purpose built shotguns and they looked like shotguns with shotgun architecture. John Gemmer built a lot of side by side shotguns in addition to his plains rifles.
Sorry I didn’t mean to imply they had Hawken plains style smoothbores.
Only there were Hawken shotguns.
We think of the big bore plains rifles but they made plenty of small bore Ohio type rifles too.
This quote in the book was that saying they were selling European shotguns in their shops marked with their name?

Find a barrel and send it to Bobby Hoyt he can ream it and make a smooth bore for you .He did one for me and it works great

Sorry I didn’t mean to imply they had Hawken plains style smoothbores.
Only there were Hawken shotguns.
We think of the big bore plains rifles but they made plenty of small bore Ohio type rifles too.
This quote in the book was that saying they were selling European shotguns in their shops marked with their name?
No, it was saying there's no evidence of a Hawken shotgun.

But other dealers in st Louis imported shotguns and stamped them.

Well fellas, I was able to have a local gun shop get in a TC Hawken .56cal Smooth Bore and put it on layaway with very small payments.
So now, two down and two to go.
I want a .54cal Plains Pistol and a 32" .54cal Hawken. With the 32" barrel having front and rear ⅜" dovetail sight grooves, I want to put one of those Malcolm 6x scopes on it. May not be legitimate for pre-1840 but I would enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back