• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hand Mortars

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PICT0373.jpg

PICT0382.jpg

I've bought from them. Good prices and good, fast service. Return for refund if you don't like the gun when it arrives.
My musket functioned good from the start. I believe I got my money's worth.

A friend owns one of these overall construction not bad stock is a little rough on the inletting, lock needed tuning no major issues there.... he's happy with it and If I didn't have a barrel for one that I am going to build I'd buy one...

Thank you all for the company information. I just wanted to ask around before forwarding this gun to some folks who told me that they were interested in them but did not want to put as much work into one as The Rifle Shoppe parts would require.

I have a ground version and would like to find a grenade launcher to lock onto my Brown Bess, if the price was right (and it fired either tennis balls or racket balls :wink: ).

grenade.jpg

nactorman said:
They are an American company, located in South Georgia.

Nowhere on their site to they say they make their items. They use words like "supply".
What the do say is in their FAQs: "All of Veteran Arms’ muskets, pistols, and bayonets are made by experienced craftsmen in India."

India made. No doubt.

Rifleman1776,

It seems you meant one thing but wrote another in your original post. Your post stated that Veteran Arms LLC was "an India company." That is incorrect. I own the company, and am as American as they come. Some of our products are, indeed, made in India and finished in our shops here in the USA. We also make some items here. Additionally, we sell products from the USA, Canada, Pakistan, England, and elsewhere.

What angle is the butt stock on your shoulder fired mortar? The correct angle is supposed to be flush on your shoulder when the barrel is pointing up to lob a projectile. If you put the butt plate of your device on your shoulder where is the muzzle pointing? I can't tell by the pictures.

Karl;
I bought one from this fellow-member's firm when they got the larger bore launcher -- same as someone's Cohoern Mortar.

:wink:

Have bought more too. Everything has met or exceeded my expectations. I bought a vegetable sling in an order from Godwin for it remembering their buff leather to be about the heaviest and best made. This was just OK at this time but sits in the sling-swivels this arm comes with.

I've got to figure a way to be able to scan photos into this machine. There's a Priceless illustration in Funkens two volumes on "The Lace Wars" of a Russian Grenadier letting one off that passes between the head and hat of a very startled officer! It was done sort of tongue-in-cheek, but show how the shortened halberd was used to support the contraption when fired. From the reaction of both figures, you can expect skid-marks in tow sets of jumpers!! :rotf:

Man, I'd love to see that. Can you cite the image? Artist, museum, etc? Or take a picture...

The British Grenadiers had the same short halberd, as I do. Some day I'll put a pic together of the gun, early match case, grenadoe, halberd...

Wonder how far that thing can hurl a PC/HC grenade?

Consider this...

Unlike a mortar, where they found that the flash of the launching would light the mortar shell fuse..., you have to load that, then have somebody light the grenade fuse, THEN fire it to launch the grenade...

..., so what do ya do if you get a klatch, or a flash-in-the-pan? :shocked2:

LD

Well, the range of the personal-sized Cohoern was up to 1,200 yards but that was with a few-hundred grain lifting charge. You're not doing that in a hand mortar fired from the shoulder, brass bell and halberd rest notwithstanding. Coupla hundred yards...

Alden said:
Man, I'd love to see that. Can you cite the image? Artist, museum, etc? Or take a picture...

The illustration is on page 153, "Arms and Uniforms: The Lace Wars, Part 2" by Liliand & Fred Funcken. The illustrations are listed under the "Russia; Artillery and Engineers" and are Figures 1 & 2 for the page. Separately, they are described as; 1. Bombardier with grenade-thrower in 1700.-2. Artillery officer in 1729.-

Both are dressed in red coats with blue cuffs and lining. The Bombardier has a front plated cap like fusillers, cartridge box on belt at front, large grenade bag with strap over right shoulder & hanging at right side, grenade-thrower hooked over top of halberd blade with blade turned to the Bombardier's right. Officer is dressed similar with tricorn hat laced gold, sash, sword and cane. When I get a working scanner again, I'll post this illustration...it's a good'un! :wink: :haha:

Latest posts

Back