• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from the Left Coast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings from California. Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 51 years old and grew up around BP guns. My Dad had a couple of beat up original 1851 Navies and an 1842 H Aston horsepistol laying around the house. His story is that during the Depression my Dad and uncles used to play Cowboys and Indians with the Navies...they couldn't afford real toy guns. They would use the H Aston's brass butt to crack walnuts. When I was 13, I put a new nipple on the H Aston, scrounged up some BP and caps and shot it. Got caught up in the BP craze in the 70's but hated to clean them. Now I'm retired from the Coast Guard and have more time, so I'm breaking out my old BP guns again... a .54 Western Arms Hawkens, a .50 DGW flint Tennessee Mountain Rifle, and a Brown Bess. Glad I found this forum so I can catch up on new developments. BTW still have the H Astin and Navies.

Welcome aboard Coastey! :grin: Dust them boogers off, loadem up and get ta blastin! Lots to see and learn here .. you are amongst friends here! :hatsoff:

Davy

Welcome. I had to chuckle about playing with the navies. And I too hated to clean BP's in the 70's
Now I'm kinda old and make it a sweet science

Coastey,
Welcome to the MLF glad to have you with
us. Thanks for your service in the Coast Guard.
Lots of great folks and information here. Hope
you will visit often and contribute when you can.
Again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Welcome Coasty, from another "left coaster". There's lots of BP shooters in Calif and lots of good info on the forum. :thumbsup: Grey Whiskers

:hatsoff:

I used a copy 1851 for a cap gun when I was a kid too! With real percussion caps when I could get em. I figgered out that they would launch a wad of paper pretty good with just the caps. :grin:

Salutations Coastey!

Like yourself, I'm also on the left-coast; but I'm no leftist. I'm downright reactionary and am working on returning the Crown to power. The Spanish Crown that is. That way we can have the Spanish Inquisition back! Remember these mortal words and tremble with fear:

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Gary o' the nearby Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars

Back