• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Plains trigger pull?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
How is the trigger on the Great Plains Pistol? If not good from the factory, can it be modified to a nice easy crisp pull? I am looking at pistols and really am scared to get one without double set triggers but like the Lyman Rifle I have and wondered if the pistol (especially the trigger ) was worth messing with. I would like to use it at our club shoots on targets.
Idaho PRB

Mine was decent from the factory, fairly light with minimal creep.

But I uh, flung that sear spring across the room. Never did find it. I find that your standard VHS tape player (aka VCR) has many tiny springs, pushers, pullers, all kinds. So I disasemble and broken VCR to get the springs.

And now I have a VCR spring in place of my sear spring. Its pretty light now, creep is about the same. Not light enough to be scary, though. I think its perfect now.

Actually, my Hawken has a set trigger, but I shoot just as often unset. Have won matches that way. My regular target pistol is unset. I find that I generally do better w/ unset triggers for pistol match shooting; must be my many years of NRA bullseye shooting. All my better pistols have good crisp trigger pulls, so won't worry about the Lyman or not having set triggers.

Incidentally, the set trigger for pistols is a bit awkward: they have to be pushed forward to set (except for the TC Senaca, which I dislike anyway).

My Kentucky took 2 fingers to pull that trigger thingy(Exaduration), I modified it, now its just about 3 whiskers this side of a hair, well 2 whiskers, ya don't wanna pack it cocked, but I like it that way.
Most locks got screws you can adjust, just be thinking when you do it. :v

I have a Lyman Plains Pistol and I feel the tigger pull is good enough. I'm no competition shooter ... just target shooting for fun. The pull isn't that heavy ... matter of fact I think it just right.

The Lyman action has a fly intermediate between the notches on the tumbler. I have found with mine that I can carefully "set" the trigger for a lighter pull. One other owner has found that he can do the same thing with his.

You Cock the hammer and retain it all the way back with a thumb. then pull the trigger until you feel the sear ride up on the fly. then a light and consistent pull is all that is required to fire the pistol. Of course extreme care must be exercised with the gun pointed down range at all times. Treat it as if it might fire at any time ( it might) and don't touch the trigger until ready for a discharge.

you can clip a single coil off the spring that puts the tension on the sear to lighten up the pull. Maybe two if you really need to, but don't get in too big a hurry to shorten a lot. If you cut it too short, stretch it out and it should work ok.

Latest posts

Back