• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

great plains pistol flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano2467

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wondering how hard would it be to convert a Great Plains Pistol from percussion to flintlock? or would it just be better to build one from scratch.

Never thought about that being done.
Might want to ask that question in the Builders Section.

The factory barrel has a bolster and the boleter would have to be replaced with a flint breech plug for a hooked tang. Then a flint lock would have to be fitted to the lock mortise.

I understand the Lyman flint locks and percussion locks on the rifles is larger and will not interchange.

Between finding a quality lock and then refitting the barrel, it is almost as easy to build a new pistol.

I have written to Lyman requesting that they consider producing a flint model. (PA permits flint ignition pistols for deer in the 3 week flint season)

Just as a last thought, Investarms makes the Lyman pistols, Cabela's Hawkens etc. I don't know if Investarms makes any pistols or other guns with the same size flint lock.

As said the barrel needs a new breech plug. They use a prioritized thread so you need an oddball plug to fit it,(one that's not available) then you'd need the flint lock itself,,,

By the time you go through all the motions to "convert" your very nearly at, if not equal too, the expense of another pistol.

Always up for another pistol, but not when you have to buy 2 to get 1. thanks for the help guess I need to add my voice to request investamrs make a flintlock version, and start planning my scratch build.

If you are not too attached to the Lyman pistol, you may want to look at the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol in their flintlock version. Folks seem to like them for their build quality and accuracy.

yes that does look nice, and I see they offer it in 45, 50, & 54. all they ones I had look at before were either 45 or 50 and I was wanting to match calibers to my GPR.

Good gun but you better not be afraid to break out the files to adjust the springs and trigger. See my posts about this not too long ago

Back