• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great day on the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
After a horrible day on the range yesterday, i found my error.

The other night i added some pinesol to my spray bottle that i fill with water to swab the bore witj. Huge mistake! I took 6 shots at 200 and only 2 showed up! Went to 100 yards and had a whopping 6 inch group!

Today i dumped the bottle, flushed it out and refilled it with plain ol tap water.

Each shot was swapped between shots with a damp patch of plain water.
100 yards
80gr Gearhart-Owen, 020 patch, 530 round ball.
20201102_130711.jpg

Sweeet! Lets up it to 90gr..
20201102_132800.jpg

From now on, its pure water for swapping. No more of those home brew oil, pinesol, ballistol recipes.

There is such a thing as to darn clean and to slick.

Interesting. Another thing to try (variable to adjust) in the pursuit in determining the best combination of "things" for a given gun. I love it!

Have you ever done side-by-side comparison with standard bull targets vs. the shoot-n-see types ?
I find my groups always open up on the shoot-n-see targets.

Frontier, do you ever just use a dry patch. I always just use a dry one. it seems to get the dirt out but I use 2 patches to do it.

Frontier, do you ever just use a dry patch. I always just use a dry one. it seems to get the dirt out but I use 2 patches to do it.
I have gotten many a dry patch stuck in a dirty bore. Its required several trips to the ball pulling hook at our range to get the patch out. Those dry patches can be stuck as solid as a dry ball.

Yes, a damp patch will soften the crud ring, capture a lot of fouling and leave the bore ready for the next load.

Back