• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gravers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonstar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I know this may be a lot to ask but, does anyone have a picture or pictures of what a Square Graver should look like when it is ready to cut using a Gesswein #11
Die Sinker chisel. I know it is a personal preference on the exact angles but as of now I am pulling what is left of my hair out. :cursing: It either cuts to deep or skim across the top. I have tried raising and lowering the graver to adjust the depth of cut. I have Jack Brooks DVD and he does a great job in covering on how to sharpen but I guess my little pea brain cannot grasp on how to get the facets and the really critical stuff right. If I could see on up close I might be able to get er done. I have just about burned up a piece of brass trying to get it right. I think I have the jest of the engraving. If I just could get the graver to cut like it should, I am home free. I bought a Crocker sharpener and it does great on the 45. I guess the rest of the fine tuning has to be done by hand. I need help quick! These chisels were about 6” long when I got em. They will be nothing but nubs in a few more hours. :rotf:

I would like to see one close up also. I am having the same problems, either the graver skips out or it goes deep. I also watched the Jack Brooks DVD, just not a close enough picture to see how far back that 15 degree angle goes!!! :idunno:

How did you treat your heel? You only want as much heel as the depth you are cutting. .015, to .020 max. Are you pushing the graver or using a hammer? You need to rent the McKenzie tapes.

Back