• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little help from Rob Miller

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So in August Rob talked me into building a gun a north west trade gun and so the parts started rolling in september 1st and off I went on a journey that with out Robs help and quite a few suggestions it would have been a struggle for sure .But he put up my with emails and a couple calls and the next thing you know I have a very slim short gun .I can’t say enough about what a great guy Rob is only that if there were more people like him we’d probably have fewer conflicts in the world and maybe even get along with our neighbours.Again thankyou Rob .I took it out today for the first time and shot about a dozen times but the wind was going right threw me so cut it short.So hears a few pictures I hope you enjoy them .Oh ignition is fast and it shoots good to thanks for looking .

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpeg
    IMG_0233.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0232.jpeg
    IMG_0232.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0221.png
    IMG_0221.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0213.png
    IMG_0213.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0207.png
    IMG_0207.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0206.png
    IMG_0206.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0231.jpeg
    IMG_0231.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0217.png
    IMG_0217.png
    6 MB · Views: 0
So in August Rob talked me into building a gun a north west trade gun and so the parts started rolling in september 1st and off I went on a journey that with out Robs help and quite a few suggestions it would have been a struggle for sure .But he put up my with emails and a couple calls and the next thing you know I have a very slim short gun .I can’t say enough about what a great guy Rob is only that if there were more people like him we’d probably have fewer conflicts in the world and maybe even get along with our neighbours.Again thankyou Rob .I took it out today for the first time and shot about a dozen times but the wind was going right threw me so cut it short.So hears a few pictures I hope you enjoy them .Oh ignition is fast and it shoots good to thanks for looking .
A few more

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpeg
    IMG_0234.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0211.png
    IMG_0211.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0214.png
    IMG_0214.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Man !! She sure looks great bud !! You did a he//uva job ! Can you folks believe this is Walt's first scratch build ? Such a great job buildin it and today he was shootin it ! So cool ! Happy to help him out and be a part of his build . This is SO cool !! Just love it ! :) Hope this inspires more folks to build ....

Oh man, Walt, I knew you had something going on behind the scenes but you knocked it out of the park!

Rob corrupted me, too, I just had to build a little 24-gauge once I saw "Shorty" come to life. On tue other things, well, some of us were miscreants and derilects before we met here....:cool:

Very
Oh man, Walt, I knew you had something going on behind the scenes but you knocked it out of the park!

Rob corrupted me, too, I just had to build a little 24-gauge once I saw "Shorty" come to life. On tue other things, well, some of us were miscreants and derilects before we met here....:cool:
Very cool .....

And fellas .... Ole Walt , GEESH !! That feller was on fire ! I'd check and see how it was going and he's like ..." I got the barrel inlet ..." ....next day " I got the breech inlet and ramrod drilled ..." .....I got the lock inlet , trigger made , trigger inlet and pinned ....got bored and made the buttplate ...." GEESH !!! Ive never seen anyone take ta scratch gun building so d@mn quickly !! Just amazing !! My first one , a pistol and I was buggin the $hit outta Ken Netting and Cecil Brooks with all kinds of stupid questions each night it seemed ....I can't believe they didnt put restraining orders against me !! LOL !! That first flintlock took almost a year ! Walt kicked @$$ ! Done a great job and whipped it out in record time ! Cant wait till he " makes meat " with it ! Great job bud ! :)

And fellas .... Ole Walt , GEESH !! That feller was on fire ! I'd check and see how it was going and he's like ..." I got the barrel inlet ..." ....next day " I got the breech inlet and ramrod drilled ..." .....I got the lock inlet , trigger made , trigger inlet and pinned ....got bored and made the buttplate ...." GEESH !!! Ive never seen anyone take ta scratch gun building so d@mn quickly !! Just amazing !! My first one , a pistol and I was buggin the $hit outta Ken Netting and Cecil Brooks with all kinds of stupid questions each night it seemed ....I can't believe they didnt put restraining orders against me !! LOL !! That first flintlock took almost a year ! Walt kicked @$$ ! Done a great job and whipped it out in record time ! Cant wait till he " makes meat " with it ! Great job bud ! :)
Yeah and I still owe Rob a video or two ,I’m very pleased how well that little short barrel patterns and I’ve only shot 9 or 10 times and 2 of them were blanks .one of those was up side down ( man she’s fast) I think Rob is on to something with having the touch hole as close to the breach as possible.Don’t be afraid to give one a go you just might surprise your self,
just go slow and have a little patience and plan what your gonna do that’s the one thing that helped me plaNing what I was gonna do next.Hope you enjoyed it .thanks for looking and again I’d like to thank my hillbilly friend for all his help and encouragement .

Yeah and I still owe Rob a video or two ,I’m very pleased how well that little short barrel patterns and I’ve only shot 9 or 10 times and 2 of them were blanks .one of those was up side down ( man she’s fast) I think Rob is on to something with having the touch hole as close to the breach as possible.Don’t be afraid to give one a go you just might surprise your self,
just go slow and have a little patience and plan what your gonna do that’s the one thing that helped me plaNing what I was gonna do next.Hope you enjoyed it .thanks for looking and again I’d like to thank my hillbilly friend for all his help and encouragement .
:). Your welcome bud . Sure was great watchin yer build . Great job !!

Last edited:
Ain't that cool ! Shootin it upside down and its as fast as a cartridge gun ?!! So neat !! Did ya use Pryor Mountain Bill Newton s building manual.any ? If so was it helpful at times ? Just curious ....

Ain't that cool ! Shootin it upside down and its as fast as a cartridge gun ?!! So neat !! Did ya use Pryor Mountain Bill Newton s building manual.any ? If so was it helpful at times ? Just curious ....
Yes it actually helped me in planing my every move, some of the measurements weren’t there like but plate length of trigger,but doing things in the correct order sure made a difference.

Yes it actually helped me in planing my every move, some of the measurements weren’t there like but plate length of trigger,but doing things in the correct order sure made a difference.
Very cool . I love that Bill's knowledge , enthusiasm and hard work still help and inspire folks to build N.W. Trade guns long after his journey to the Happy Hunting Grounds . Thanks Bill . I just love these trade guns . You gotta build a 36" barreled one next bud ! :D

Good job. I did my first scratch build back in the 80s before I was old, blind, and crippled up 😊 I was lucky enough to be shooting in a club with Ken Netting and Paul Jordan, Paul was a retired Columbus Ohio cop who had chased me all over the Hilltop when I was a young juvenile hoodlum. They both helped me with parts, motivation, and encouragement. Now you can try out all those load combinations you were curious about.

Rob is so very helpful to everyone. His easy going style for explaining what you have to do. Makes scratch building so much more rewarding than those snap together kits. Gives us confidence that we can do it.
Very kind of ya bud . Thank you. I sure like to help folks if I can . I hate that things have to be so hard to find information about or so expensive. I had a devil of a time gettin started building , sure like to help others if I can .

Looks like a chip off the young (compared to me) block. Looks great.

Back