• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigErn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I acquired a GPR Hunter,1:32 twist.Can round balls be shot out of this barrel?
Ernie

Yeah but you will have to use a reduced charge. Then again you may be surprised. Try 60gr and work up until the groups open up.

My GPR's always do best with the blue and white .018" pillow ticking.

It is not the ideal twist for round ball, but GPRs often surprise people by doing things that people think will not work.

I second the suggestion to start with lower powder charges at first. I think that is the highest probability of success.

Give it an honest effort and see what happens.

Good luck!

CS

I'm just learning this stuff myself. My GPR came with a 1/60 twist. You could buy a new barrel that has a 1/60 twist I would think.

Sorry it shows I have a lot to learn about this stuff.I don't think they make a 1/60 twist for that gun.
Pay no attention to that dummy behind the certain. :youcrazy:

I think they make a 1:48 barrel for it which is an excellent RB barrel.

The Great Plains Hunter barrel is what you have, and sometimes they will group patched round ball decently. I have one too and it likes the Lee REAL bullets and about 85 grains of 3f. The GP rifle barrel will drop right in and is better suited for shooting round ball, but see what you can do with what you've got and let us know. Good luck; shoot safe, shoot often.

The 1:32 GP Hunter is designed to shoot bullets but can shoot round ball too. Higher powder charges may cause the patched ball to "strip" in the rifling causing a loss of accuracy.
A 1:60 Great Plains Rifle barrel costs about $120 from Midsouthshooterssupply dot com.

Mr. Capper,
This particular load in our barrel is accurate enough to "head shot" Squirrels, when the shooter is up to it. Seems those days are few and far between for me, anymore.
Additionally, I might add, a .54cal PRB weighs almost as much as our Squirrels do up here. :grin:
Best Wishes

bull3540 said:
The Great Plains Hunter barrel is what you have, and sometimes they will group patched round ball decently. I have one too and it likes the Lee REAL bullets and about 85 grains of 3f. The GP rifle barrel will drop right in and is better suited for shooting round ball, but see what you can do with what you've got and let us know. Good luck; shoot safe, shoot often.
Hey bull,
Got the Lee Real bullet mold with it!

BigErn said:
bull3540 said:
Hey bull,
Got the Lee Real bullet mold with it!
You ought to be good to go then, just take your time and work up the best load. The addition of a felt wad sometimes wrings out the best accuracy when using conicals. Be sure to use pure lead when casting those REAL bullets.

Latest posts

Back