• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To help with my flintlock shooting I wear a hat with a brim (such as a slouch hat) I then wear it in such a way as to put the brim between my poor old eyes and the lock, if I can't see the flash I don't flinch -------------------------as much!

Simple
confused.gif
- OK. I think the one thing that helped my flintlock shoot better was a White Lightning liner period.
grin.gif
There are a few other little things that can be read on the muzzle loaders mailing list (I think that's the name). There are so many little things that will make a difference, here are a few:
1. Wipe flint and frizzen between shots.
2. Make sure flint is sharp.
3. Don't over prime - too much powder. Put powder on the outside part of the pan.
4. Pick flash hole between shots or load with the pick in flash hole.
5. Follow through shot. Most good archers know this.
6. Practice, practice, practise and practise!
Enough said.......I hope it helps.
tongue.gif

I think the first thing to do with any production flintlock and many semi custom or custom ones is to enlarge the vent to 5/64 or even a bit larger tis will ofer much better ignition than the standard 1/16.

Part of the reason for this forum is to provide interesting reading. Obviously there is a wide array of experience and knowledge out there. If I shoot flint for another lifetime I doubt I will know all there is to know. I appreciate all the insight and personal experience brought forth here. Some I agree with and some I don't, and some I never would have thought of. So keep it commin'.

Horse Dr.

I have spoke with Jim Chambers over the phone about making his touch hole bigger and even grinding a slight concave "dish" on the face. He told me not to do it at that time. He might have changed his opinion now but last year was don't do it!
shocked.gif

I have one Chambers gun that I believe has the "magic" liner. punched it out to 5/64 and it works very well, most times a person can drill a larger hole in whatever liner they have and get excellent results with out going to a new liner. Generally speaking a larger hole just works better, fouls less, easier to clean,fires a bit quicker most folks seem stuck on the little 1/16 hole for some reason, liners are cheap it doesn't cost much to try something new....

All of the Chambers liners I have installed have been drilled out to 1/16" at the minimum & the large bores are all 5/64". Most of them have a slight dish coned on the Pan Side (Outside) also & I leave about .025 straight wall thickness. I have had excellent results with all the Chambers liners I have put in.

As I have been told the reason most manufactures have such a small touch hole is because of liability. It doesn't work worth a darn in most cases but it also doesn't throw a lot of burning powder out the side. If you drill the liner then the liability is yours and not the manufactures. They have to play CYA. Of course if you use a flash guard or warn the guys on the line when you come up it's not a problem, it's the rare moron that we have in this sport that doesn't care about the other guy on the line. Fortunately they are very far and few between. Take care, Rick.

Back