• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex to stop making Cartridge BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zrifleman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When I heard that Goex was going to stop making Cartridge grade BP, I contacted my source at Goex to confirm it. Yes it's true---along with some of the Express grades and Cowboy powders. Their were fears that when Hogdon's acquired Goex they would change formula's, drop production,generally screw up the Goex BP. This follows on the heels of 22% price increase over the last year or so. Incidentally my distributor was not notified about dropping some grades. I was told some time back that 90% of Goex BP went to Military and most of the rest was used by reenactors, so sporting shooters are a very small consideration. This probably is one of the reasons Swiss is so popular with sporting shooters as that is who they make powder for. Goex has demonstrated the ability to make as good of powder as Swiss but not the desire. When my supply of Goex runs out, my money will go to the Swiss.

Are they keeping the regular 2F-3F? You didn't mention those. I haven't seen a price increase yet.

I learned a long time ago that when you find a product of anything that you like you had better buy up all you can of said product. cause every company sooner or later will hire a new guy fresh out of school that thinks he knows everything an he will discontinue your product that you like so well. for instance Ruger dropped the old army an If bill sr knew that he would roll over in his grave

zrifleman said:
When I heard that Goex was going to stop making Cartridge grade BP, I contacted my source at Goex to confirm it. Yes it's true---along with some of the Express grades and Cowboy powders. Their were fears that when Hogdon's acquired Goex they would change formula's, drop production,generally screw up the Goex BP. This follows on the heels of 22% price increase over the last year or so. Incidentally my distributor was not notified about dropping some grades. I was told some time back that 90% of Goex BP went to Military and most of the rest was used by reenactors, so sporting shooters are a very small consideration. This probably is one of the reasons Swiss is so popular with sporting shooters as that is who they make powder for. Goex has demonstrated the ability to make as good of powder as Swiss but not the desire. When my supply of Goex runs out, my money will go to the Swiss.

Aww man, its all a giant conspiracy to make us all shoot Pyrodex!

That is the reason I bought my last case of Kik's powder. It burns as clean as Geox and gives me less deviation between shots measured on a chrony.When I heard they had went under and the only powder available was what was on hand I ordered a case even though I had several pounds on hand. I would have ordered two but that would have put me over the limit. :surrender: :surrender:

+1

Taking a step to the side, might this also be creating opportunities for new, small makers to manufacture for local/regional buyers?

zrifleman said:
Powder Inc. just told me KIK is in chapter 7, but as far as they know, are still in business.

I just made a trip to Graf & Sons and while I was there I asked if they heard of GOEX not producing cowboy powders and he said they hadn't notified him about it.

Within ten (10) years you will not be able to purchase BP or decent modern reproductions.
All of the remaining companies will have gone under, making frying pans or flat screen tv's
You may thing I'm a downer, but watch!
Old Ford :cursing: :cursing:

zrifleman said:

The profit is in the military powder. The military is less picky about the powder for one thing and since Goex is the only supplier in the US....

This was foreseen by a friend when the sale finalized. He predicted in a year or 2 BP production for shooters would be cut back or stopped all together.

The sporting blackpowder barely pays its way.

Hodgdon making a black powder that competes with Pyrodex is a conflict of interest. They have a vested interest in NOT making BP since its profit margin is far lower than P-dex.
BP making is more labor intensive for one thing.

This is not good news...
Dan

Taking a step to the side, might this also be creating opportunities for new, small makers to manufacture for local/regional buyers?
In a free market that is just what would happen. But Small local market find Regulations very prohibiting.
Supporting USA based Companies would be wise because it is very easy to restrict importation of explosives and flammables.
As soon as local supplier close down. A stroke of a pen could block shipments for a long time.
This is a problem for all shooter of all propellant weapons.

Well Hell then, lets just substitute smokeless powder catridge arms for MLs problem solved!

Then if they make smokeless powder impossible to get we'll all just switch to Air Soft...

...from there its all down hill, Wii IPSC anyone?

It wasn't a big deal when I saw that GOEX was selling Cartridge powder because I don't use it.
That explains why it isn't a big deal to me for GOEX to say they are going to stop making it.

As for 2Fg and 3Fg powder I'm sure GOEX will continue to make it as long as we continue to buy it. :)

As long as there is enough BP to last until I kick off, I don't care what happens to the rest of y'all! :blah:

Back