• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Giant whole corn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenngun said:
Ach lad,(in my best Scottish accent) no haggis?! Are ye daft laddie?
I don’t know if you ever tried one but it does taste better then it sounds. Looking forward to one on Bobbie Burns birthday.
It is the idea of Haggis that seems to get people.

The modern Haggis is more like a meatloaf (ground meat, liver, onions, oatmeal and spices, mixed and baked in an oven) than the original Haggis (ground sheep liver, lungs & sometimes kidneys & heart, onions, oatmeal and spices, mixed and boiled in a sheep's stomach for 4-5 hours). It was a way for poor people to use the discarded bits (pluck) for a meal.

I've had the modern and would gladly eat the traditional (especially with a fine Scotch). I have a recipe somewhere for Venison Haggis, which I was told was better than the original made from sheep parts.

Traditional Haggis: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/haggis-recipe-1911083

Modern Haggis: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/haggis-ingredients-14255

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve made the original style myself, well it came form Karalee Turneys recipe, and it taste mostly of a sausage. Boiling in a stomach is just cause it’s handy. Pudding was always cooked in a stomach or paunch, cloth pudding bags just came to be used as people were making puddings faster then butchering. I would bet lots of haggis was cooked in cloth bags.
By the by what’s plural of haggis? Haggi?haggiseses?
A Roman walks in to a bar and ask for a martinis.The bartender say you mean a martini. The Roman says no, if I wanted two I would ask for two.

Clyde, What you bought was a bag of dried hominy my friend. My wife is a 100% certified American born Mexican and has used it in making great soups and MENUDO! She is 71 come this December 1st and was taught how to make it from her mother and grandmother. I like honey comb tripe and the Mexican's love a big bowl of Menudo after a big night drinking and a believed hangover remedy.

It's always comical about someone refusing to try or like some food, but will eat things like eggs, sausages in natural casings, beef or deer tongue, liver and onions, Mountain oysters etc. All fine eating in my 2 cent opinion.
Rick

That’s a trueism. I can’t say I see much difference in eating body part a, and body part b. Now I don’t care for the taste of liver or kidney but chopped and thrown in to a stew pot they make a rich broth. I eat pigs feet and head cheese with equal gusto.
Drop a deer I will make an SOB stew that night. Offal and awful are too different things.

nhmoose said:
You have never been to an Orangeman's dinner in the Nor East when my FIL was grand whatever were the old traditional Haggis. Yuk is the best I can give it.
What can I say, I'm an adventurous eater.
Haggis hardly cracks the top 10 of interesting things I've eaten (based upon the American palate). I'll take a Haggis any day over one of those pasty, pink meat-tubes that people seem to enjoy so much - they're nasty.

EXACTLY. = When I was an advisor OCONUS, we were all told to eat what we were served by the local nationals & smile, lest we embarrass the US Army & our nation.

My rule in a developing nation is: IF it tastes good, don't ask what it is.

yours, satx

Don’t tell Buffy St Marie, as she sung about ”˜sheeps’ :wink:
I was in south and west pacific in navy and San diago while in states. Was down to TJ and Ensenada a lot. Some of the best food I had in Philippine and Mexico was off street vendors. Never asked what it was.
I recall the man who built the Brendan, small Irish leather ship and sailed to America in it, he spoke of eating sea birds often. His name started with an S and sounds different the it looks but I can’t recall it now. Anyway his crew seem to have liked birds we often don’t think of as dinner :idunno:
”˜All that’s sold in a shambles is good to eat’.

satx78247 said:
My rule in a developing nation is: IF it tastes good, don't ask what it is.

yours, satx
Yep...never ask. Someone's just liable to tell you, and no one wants that! :rotf:

Like the old joke about the two immigrant who just got off the boat and asked what was typical traditional American food. Hotdogs they were told so went to the nearest vendor and ordered. The first looked into the bun and asked the other, "What part of the dog did you get?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never asked what I was eating again after I asked what the nice "toasted croutons", that decorated the "chef's salad" that I enjoyed eating in an African country were.

yours, satx

Je weniger die Leute darüber wissen, wie Würste und Gesetze gemacht werden, desto besser schlafen sie nachts.

"The less the people know about how sausages and laws are made, the better they sleep in the night." Attributed to Otto Von Bismarck, but origin of that particular version is unknown...though it's correct about not knowing what's in the sausage that you're eating.
:haha:
LD

Back