• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting the best from my Parker Hale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it works, the pre-lubed bullets now mike at .565 using my home-made two piece sizer. The brass sits on top of the ally. Shove it under the little arbour press I have and use another piece of ally as a top punch. The hole in the ally support is bigger at .60 so simply lift it up and retrieve the sized bullet. Let's hope it was worth the effort.

Sizer.JPG

@bisleyjohn - ALL our plans now well and truly scuppered by the latest 'catch-it-as-it-goes-by' gubmint decision to limit groups to six in England. :(

I swear that this bunch of dwongs are making it up as they go along, a bit like painting an oar while it's in use....

I have just spent the morning casting and sizing. Not comletely wasted as I shall (hopefully) be on my own on Melville Range next Thursday with the Enfield. I'll have to wait and see what effect is has on the South London Rifle Clubs' Revolver competition on the 25th/26th. There is an old Naval adjectve for some people, rhmes with a cast iron piece of equipment usuall kept at the bow 🤠

I have just spent the morning casting and sizing. Not comletely wasted as I shall (hopefully) be on my own on Melville Range next Thursday with the Enfield. I'll have to wait and see what effect is has on the South London Rifle Clubs' Revolver competition on the 25th/26th. There is an old Naval adjectve for some people, rhmes with a cast iron piece of equipment usuall kept at the bow 🤠
So you have time to bed the breach in the stock !

No doubt you will all be delighted to know that I have moved ‘Bed Enfield’ to the top of my TODO list. Now my wife wants to know who Enfield is🥴 Two hours later, I have bedded her! Now on to the sight, Lawrence A Suggested using a paint scraper but I’m thinking of using a piece of hacksaw blade, thinner and springier perhaps?

Last edited:
Junior hacksaw blade duly butchered and fitted. That is one small screw holding the spring in place. However, fingers crossed, it will pass the firing test next week.

It is begining to looklike all those selfish buggers who went abroad on holiday are going to get us shut down again. Just when my Enfield is all ready and I have a target booked; sight fixed, bedding done, water-pump grease applied. Bullets sized to .565 (ish) and lubed. Charges made up and, in case I lose concentration and dry-ball again I'm ready. The tyre (tire) valve is from China, the CO2 bike pump is from the USA; both via Ebay and the adaptor is from a piece of come-in-handy steel in my shed. Female thread 1/4 NPT- male thread 5/16 x 10 to fit my Enfield. The lovely black finish is heat to dull orange dip in used cooking oil.

adaptor.jpg

Better make one for my Ruger Old Army do you think?

Carronade? ;)

What an old foolI am. 5/16x10!! and no-one picked me upfor it? Good news is I won't need a mallet to start the Minie's, the sizer reduces them to 'touch fit' at the muzze. Results on Fiday if I get to Bisley.:dunno:

What an old foolI am. 5/16x10!! and no-one picked me upfor it? Good news is I won't need a mallet to start the Minie's, the sizer reduces them to 'touch fit' at the muzze. Results on Fiday if I get to Bisley.:dunno:
I did notice but could not remember myself the correct size.... I await your results.

Well, the sized minies slide down the barrel easily but don’t seem to like the light load of 42-48 grains. Five rounds at each weight produced disappointingly large groups. Time running out I made up five Charges of 54 grains which produced this at 50 yards.

AA753961-1C83-4BB3-AEF0-033FD435D6E9.jpeg

the fouling appeared minimal, I’ll know when I’ve cleaned it.

Now, do I size the bullets a thou bigger or go for larger charges as in ‘service load’? Any and all advice welcome. Now, where’s my beer ‘fridge?

I'd try sizing larger and make that you're using pure lead.

Lube can cause that as well.

Size of the hollow base can also dictate whether you need a service charge level or not. A smaller hollow will need a higher charge.

I'd try sizing larger and make that you're using pure lead.

Lube can cause that as well.

Size of the hollow base can also dictate whether you need a service charge level or not. A smaller hollow will need a higher charge.
Thank you Dave,

Making a 1 thou. larger brass sizer will be my first step, I have two base plugs too so I will be casting some with the conical ‘smaller cavity’ plug and making up incremental charges and using both types of bullets. The lead I use is ‘pure’ which I melt twice, fluxing regularly as I go. I think the lube is ok, three passes seemed to clean the bore, no apparent leading and the burned powder residue on the first patch was slightly greasy. Your answer confirms the plan I think? It may be a while before I get back to Bisley again so don’t hold your breath. Stay safe good Sir, best wishes. J

41829122-938B-4B04-A50B-FCE2D19593B3.jpeg

top right, first dry patch, bottom, second dry, left, two passes using Muzzle Magic. Third dry patch after that came out clean.

Back