• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gettin' your first precarve ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemeteor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is another of MeteorMan's unsolicited, redundant tips for beginners. Wiley vets can ignore this post:

You've read it here a million times - this will make a million +1, with a pic.
If you are easing into this hobby/craft by using a precarve (like many of us), realize that NONE of the surfaces you are looking at on your brand new virgin pre-carve ("Look Pa, ain't she a beauty ?!?") are going to remain on your finished product.
Except for maybe some of the barrel channel.

Don't be a-feared to TAKE OFF WOOD, LOTS of wood !
And don't attempt to retain some of those virgin surfaces by dramatic contouring to meet your hardware, like I did. :shake:
Otherwise, 20 years from now, you'll be posting on this forum how you look at your first gun or two, and liken it to a two-by-four with a barrel in it.
If you really work at it, you can be like me and look at your 3rd or 4th gun and liken it to a baseball bat with a barrel in it. :barf: :haha:

I just made a comparative before-and after picture of my Pecatonica River precarve (Carolina model).
I think I took off more wood then I left on, and I probably still haven't done enough.
The width of the butt, which you can't tell from these pics, was reduced by almost a full inch.
As proof, you can see the grain patterns aren't close to similar anymore.

PreCarveStockExcess.jpg

Anyway, hope this helps the firstimers diving into your first precarve.
Get out your #50 cabinetmakers rasp and use it liberally. (But wisely, of course...)

BTW, I am SOLICTING AND WIDE OPEN TO critical review of my lock panel.
Some readers may remember that I struggle mightily with shaping lock panels. :(
Hopefully it's kinda obvious by now :confused: , but this is a southern Appalachian flavored rifle, with maybe a hint of Tennessee.
That's a Chambers Dale Johnson lock with the tail left on.

I think spring is finally coming to central Pennsyltucky ! :applause:
/MM

I'm not one to critique anyone's work, being as how I'm a newbie, and I don't know what a Carolina is supposed to look like.
So far looks good to me.

MeteorMan said:
Don't be a-feared to TAKE OFF WOOD, LOTS of wood !

That, can't be said enough! :thumbsup:

It is the #1 issue with almost every first time build, even with the kit guns from Lyman/Traditions/CVA.
So many just inlet the lock a little, seat the tang an barrel, screw on the butt plate then slap on the stain an polyurethane.
I start with a 4-in-1 rasp and use the toothy side. Lord knows I've messed up more than one but they look soo' much nicer if a guy at least try's to follow proper lines.

p.s. Lock panels look pretty from this side of the screen.

I am glad to hear that someone else has trouble with shaping lock panels. I do not know why, but it is the hardest part of building for me. :idunno:
Anyhow, it looks just fine to me, MM. :thumbsup:
Woody

Top of the panel behind the cock is way to fat,bottom also.Most guns of this type had english locks as well.

Great advice, MM (Meteor Man), and nice shaping of the buttstock. Depending on the era, I have seen wide lock panels on such rifles before. The lock is a little early for such a gun but could have been "repurposed".

Once you get the lock mortice shaped correct, make a cardboard template to match its shape. Mark the lock and rifle type on the template and save it for future builds. The next time you build a rifle of that type you can simply trace around the template with a pencil on the mortice and it will show how much wood needs to be removed! The reverse side of the template can be used on the side plate mortice also.
proofsled.jpg

kind of like this.
:thumbsup:

MM, also you have the back of the panel shaped for a round tailed lock. Yours is pointed.For future reference a Chambers late Ketland would have been a better choice.

fitter said:
For future reference a Chambers late Ketland would have been a better choice.

thanks Fitter.
I put a late Ketland from Chambers on a previous mountain gun I made - just figured I try somethin' different this time.
/MM

MM, Thanks for inspiration, I too am working on my first Pecatonica precarve. But I think you were a little fast on the draw with the spring thing in Pa. Nice work though, Steve.

Lord have mercy Shack - 12 inches of heavy wet stuff here yesterday afternoon. :(
I'm never sayin that again.
Hope they didn't close down the Friendsville Inn! :thumbsup:

Make the sawdust fly off that precarve.
Pic above is my 4th PR pre-carve, and I think I'm blissfully dangerous enough now to start with a blank.

Post your progress if ya can.
As u know, lots of good help here.
/MM

MM, If there was anybody at the Inn they are probably still there, 2 foot of snow and heavy drifting, I'm still trying to get out. :cursing:

MM, to bad you couldn't have done a little of research, that would have told you that German locks are not correct on Southern rifles. It's sad that even commercial, and some pro builders do the same. Fit and finish are good though. Nice made for the movies fantasy gun. It sure isn't a Carolina gun. Study the originals.

Bill

I say build what you enjoy, your the only one that you need to please. Who is to say an early lock from a worn out rifle would not have been used if it was available. The proof you need to make it HC could be sitting in someones attic, or more likely in a landfill somewhere.

Back