• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening Round2 Deer problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used Irish Spring soap and had good results. Hanging bars of this type of strong smelling soap close to the plants and around the garden has worked for me. I've drilled holes in the bars then put a string through it and hung servel on the tomatoe basket, high and low. Used mess type bags some grocery stores used for some of their vegetables they sell. It has worked with some results on raccoons ,but bad smelling things don't always work for them. Put soap on posts around the garden. I also strung string around with stripes of aluminum foil so it moves with the wind. That help some with the rabbits. I need help with the mice.
Cats can, but not always, take care of mice. One of mine carried a dead mouse for 3 days, I finally disposed of the lil critter, quite nicely chewed on.
Domiciles in the woods need a good "barn cat" to take care of mice, ground squirrels, etc.
I've got the cats, just need the house in the woods!

Domicile in the woods! Out the upstairs living room door, down the holler, away from civilization.
IMG_0350.jpeg

I don't yet have any personal experience gardening with the local blacktail/mulies. But the previous property owner had a 6' fence around his garden area & said it kept the deer out.

I have bees on that property now and while deer aren't a threat in the least, the bears are. For them, I use a 1.6 joule pulse electric fence, surrounded by motion-activated flood lights. The deer come by but tend to avoid the lights.

One of these days, I'd like to try a giant Halloween werewolf or grim reaper that comes to life by motion-activated sensors... And get it all on camera. But I don't have power over there so the solar fence & flood lights will have to do for now.

I live in a housing development , no ctg. or m/l detonations allowed. It's the law. Before the row of lots behind us was developed w/ houses , I had fun studying the local buzzard population. Blast a groundhog in the morning , and by late morning , the usual "take their turn" , buzzard guests would clean up the hog carcas. Was usually about 6 or 7 birds with a pecking order , and by evening , all was left of the g-hog was a flat PC. of skin , and teeth. Can't shoot back there now , so tried traps , fox traps , and even Coneybear body hold traps , perfect for a g-hog sized hole in the fence. The g-hogs seem to learn quickly , and one dead body is discovered , they make a new hole in the fence in another place. There is no vegetable a g-hog doesn't like. I had a g-hog hotel in a fence row next to my garden , and had to figure a fool proof way to destroy the critters. Here is what I did.......Push a sheet of news paper in each hole. Add one cup used motor oil to the paper , light and insert a highway safety flare into the mix. Shovel a bit of dirt over the hotel entrance...........volia.......Repeated this until all 10 holes were covered . I had one of the back neighbors watching the fence line , and he reported only one g-hog came back from somewhere , saw the smoke eminating from the once g-hog hotel entrance , and ran over under the next door guy's above ground pool , never to return. Yal have a good day!

I have used Irish Spring soap and had good results. Hanging bars of this type of strong smelling soap close to the plants and around the garden has worked for me. I've drilled holes in the bars then put a string through it and hung servel on the tomatoe basket, high and low. Used mess type bags some grocery stores used for some of their vegetables they sell. It has worked with some results on raccoons ,but bad smelling things don't always work for them. Put soap on posts around the garden. I also strung string around with stripes of aluminum foil so it moves with the wind. That help some with the rabbits. I need help with the mice.
Irish Spring Soap worked like a deer attractant around here. Bride witnessed Bambi sniffing a hanging bar before it continuing to graze. View from the porch as one of the local herds work their way through the yard.
1713376673595.jpeg

The consensus seems to be an electric fence. Tin cans on top of rebar or some sort of metal pole keeps the gophers away by the clanging in the wind. The clanging causes underground vibrations. That clanging may work on deer as well. Who knows?

Deer have to eat too, people can go to the store. The truth is I have never had any interest in the dirt sports and let the farmers do the farming.

I don't yet have any personal experience gardening with the local blacktail/mulies. But the previous property owner had a 6' fence around his garden area & said it kept the deer out.

I have bees on that property now and while deer aren't a threat in the least, the bears are. For them, I use a 1.6 joule pulse electric fence, surrounded by motion-activated flood lights. The deer come by but tend to avoid the lights.

One of these days, I'd like to try a giant Halloween werewolf or grim reaper that comes to life by motion-activated sensors... And get it all on camera. But I don't have power over there so the solar fence & flood lights will have to do for now.
Would LOVE to see the werewolf or Grim Reaper spring into action with a humongous GROWL spring at a bear! PLEASE also record it!

Back