• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gander Mountain Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frogwalking

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to Gander Mountain looking for #11 percussion caps. All they had was several tins of #10 Remington. They were expensive. I happened to notice two black English flints in a plastic package for (I kid you not :idunno: ) $12.99. For goodness sake, don't anyone buy these. Track of the Wolf has about six different sizes, most of which are $2.00 each or $19 per dozen. Dixie Gun Works and Stonewall creek outfitters have a similar deal. Please don't waste your money. Besides, I can no more understand buying two flints than I can understand buying one beer.

I didn't know gander mountain had knapped flints or at least the one I go to doesn't. Some carry the saw cut flints. Never tried them and don't plan to with the price. I learned to just buy my stuff online or at an event instead of wasting my time going to a popular outdoor store.

I've seen cut flints there for a ridiculous price, but then again what isn't overpriced at a store like that? Only thing worth a hoot there is the fishing gear and watching people drop big bucks on overpriced firearms. :grin:

They must have been recovered from the wreck of the Queen Anne's Revenge.

PS - I just came across a bag of 100 Tom Fuller Black English flints I forgot I had squirreled away. Apparently they have outperformed my retirement savings account many times over!

The cost of one shot at a deer pays for all the meals it replaces, and then some. Or at least that's my argument.

Gander Mountain and retailers such as that (and I work in a place similar) are not there to supply guys/gals that frequent this site with their black powder supplies.

It's all about those few guys that only use a muzzle loader IF they didn't get their deer tags all filled in the "real season".

This year, up my way there was no concentrated rut and as a result the number of tags filled in the centerfire/shotgun hunt, which lasted 2 weeks, was super low.

On the Monday following the close of the season we sold 9 muzzle loaders and another half dozen in the couple days that followed.

That is three times our "yearly total" in a typical year.

Also sold 8 or 9 crossbows (we have a late bow where crossbows are permitted). We normally sell maybe half dozen in a typical year.

My point is - "us" and places like Gander Mountain are there for the impulse buyer when it comes these "less typical" items.

And if you only fire your flintlock a half dozen times a year then you don't even know that places like Track "exist", nor do you care because those 12 buck flints will last longer than you will be physically capable of using the rifle they are used with.

"Only thing worth a hoot there is the fishing gear and watching people drop big bucks on overpriced firearms."

Yeah you just reminded me of a story. This year the Missouri department of conservation has looked into the possibility of adding crossbows to the archery season but its not written in stone. So I was at a popular outdoor store last weekend and I noticed a few guys buying crossbows already. :slap: These things are well into a thousand dollars and they are already buying them. I thought it would be funny if the MDC decided to wait a few years before they would change the rules. :haha:

At the nearest gander mountain they don't even have the look of an outdoor store. No animals mounted on the wall or nothing. Just a sea of clothing and a wall of guns and fishing in the corner.

Back to flints the most expensive I've seen so far on the internet is five for $25! :shocked2:

In Missouri you can use a crossbow in the archery season if you're disabled. Otherwise you can use one for the gun season and the alternative season. The alternative season is what happened to the muzzleloading season. I jokingly call it the "use whatever you think you can take a deer with season".

I had a discussion with another guy about why we (AZ) didn't have a flintlock season, or why stone arrow points weren't allowed and he said his answer to all these primitive hunts was that they ought to hold one hunt call "tooth and claw", where you had to kill your deer without using any weapons, just jump out of a tree and wrestle it down, no knife or anything. He was kidding, of course, but I'll bet they could sell tags and someone would actually fill one once in a while.

I once read a story in a gun magazine (with pictures) of two guys hunting wild boar with knives. They killed one without getting significantly injured themselves. Not for me.

I have never seen the moderators allow a thread to go so far :eek:ff . It remains interesting though.

Thanks for mentioning that I'm not the only one who thinks this topic has served its purpose (and then some).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back